TAC-16 Can on your AR

Cordell

Anyone running a TAC-16 can (Suppressor) on your AR. Please post some pics and any info you would like to pass on.

Thanks

Is there something specific about that model that interests you?
I've got lots of suppressor experience, but none with that one.

c_bass16,

Mainly the price, and have heard good things about it from one other person. Trying to get more real world info on them.

Any knowledge you have about other cans would be great. I have not made up my mind yet. I will be getting a can after I finish my 20" AR build. It will be my go to coyote gun.

In my experience, its hard to be disappointed with any can...but you get unreliable advice from people that have only heard or used one or maybe even two models.
A family member is a dealer so I get to test out just about ANYTHING I want.
I know that I chose my first can with to much emphasis on the low price point.

I now know better.
This is a lifelong investment. You can always ditch a scope or gun...or trade off a product that you bought pinching pennies...with intentions of upgrading later...but with a can...there is almost zero resale value. It will likely be with you A LONG TIME. If there was ever a time to "Buy once and cry once" its with a suppressor. Set asside $50 or 100 a month and research as much as you can. By the time your actually ready...you'll have the extra built up for something better.
Knowing what I know now...I would sell a gun to buy a better suppressor. No question.

my first was a YHM SS Phantom QD.
It's an EXCELLENT suppressor and even in the upper end of sound suppression, but its.crazy heavy.
I've since bought a second .30 cal can in titanium. (Thunderbeast 30BA) It's hard to justify DOUBLE the price for reduced weight, but there are models that are very competitive.
The YHM 5.56 Phantom Ti model comes to mind. Proven suppression, light weight and great price point.
The absolute best 5.56 can I have heard is the SRT Hurricane XL Ti. It's almost impossible to tell the difference between 1-2 dB with the human ear, but with this can...its easy to hear the diff. Another thing that isnt usually mentioned is that some cans that have a thin tube to reduce weight, will have a noticable "ping" sound...like a tuning fork when you shoot. I've heard an AAC Cyclone do this.
Different models, designs, materials simply have a different tone when shot through them.

Majority of suppressors have a repeatable point of impact, but they don't always have a consistent first round impact. Some Gemtech cans have this issue.
Another important feature is that some cans will improve accuracy (a lot or a little) and some will degrade accuracy (a lot or a little)
A few like SRT and Thunderbeast have proven to usually, improve a rifles accuracy.

I could go on and on and on, but the questions about the Tac-16...I'm afraid I'm no help.

c_bass16

"It will likely be with you A LONG TIME. If there was ever a time to "Buy once and cry once" its with a suppressor. Set asside $50 or 100 a month and research as much as you can. By the time your actually ready...you'll have the extra built up for something better."

That is a VERY good point, cant just sell or trade it away if i am not happy. Please fell free to pass on any other advise and info about other Cans i will have to do A LOT of research.

Thanks again

C_Bass is dead nuts on the money.

The SRT was the fourth suppressor I bought, it's an integral, and I couldn't believe the difference. I was like my gem-tech's, the Dolphin is okay but I don't see there being any other branded cans in my safe.

My m4 with a Gem-tech Halo mounted, a 7 mag with a 30 cal Dolphin mounted and my SRT integral.

These things are worse than "Lays" tater chips....you just can't have just one!

Attachments

• 7 Magr.jpg
    7 Magr.jpg
    98.8 KB · Views: 163
  • IMG_8065r.JPG
    IMG_8065r.JPG
    137 KB · Views: 146
  • IMG_8078r.JPG
    IMG_8078r.JPG
    165.8 KB · Views: 152
Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.