T c icon 30.06

mrbofus

Hello,

I found a New TC ICON 30.06 at a LGS for $460, wood stock good looking Rifle.
I have always been interested in the ICON and the VENTURE but alway end up with something else.

I did a little "search" feature here and read quiet a bit regarding to the ICON and from what I gathered ---mixed reviews but mostly old posts.

Anyone have any input on the ICON that may help me decide on this rifle.

What I gathered most was the barrels foul rather quick.

Any input would be appreciated.

MB

By the lack of responses it would appear as if the ICON is possibly something to stay away from.

I will keep looking for something else

I have experience with an ICON in .243. Nice rifle, smooth action, do not like the butter knife bolt handle for operation purpose (but do like the look). Shoots accurate, geat trigger. A little heavy but solid rifle. Sope mounting rails are nice not havng to screw on bases. The magazine reminds me of the Tikka which works OK but would rather have steel or hinged floor plate. The 700 CDLs are still my favorite wood stocked rifle. They just feel right to me.

If you are getting it brand new with a warranty (need to be sure) then you are good so long as the warranty is valid.

TC / S&W has discontinued this rifle and ceased making parts. When they run out of inventory you will be screwed. My rifle was out of warranty (bought used) and the factory refused to sell me a replacement stock (mine had a crack in it) and when the barrel was found to be as rough as a corn cob, they not only refused to fix it but refused to fit a new barrel, even if I paid for the work.

It is a poor investment since no-one elses parts will fit. Its a shame since it is a very good receiver design.

MB: I have Icon's in 308, 243, and 22-250. I love them. They are accurate and well made. My 243 has shot several one hole groups, the 308 is 1/2-3/4" gun (3 shot), have not fired 22-250 yet.

Unfortunately, T/C (S&W) has discontinued the Icon. I am disappointed to hear of Westcliffe's experience.

For a wood stock, blued rifle, I don't think you can beat it for that price. I would take the gamble.

The older Icon`s, produced in Rochester NH, by TC, are very good rifles. Icon rifles produced when S&W took over the company appeared to have some problems early on and then the Icon model was discontinued. My TC Icon in, 30-06, made in Rochester is a fine rifle.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.