T/C Encore w/ 460 S&W barrel..... Thoughts?

CjC73

I'm looking at purchasing a 20" barrel for my Encore in 460 S&W. No need for it, just a want for something big bore. Was looking for a 375JDJ but a deal didn't happen and now see this one. :D

Just looking for some information on this round. Done some reaearch and looks like a pretty cool round. Reasonably priced to load for. Would I need a muzzle break? And if so, would the 20" barrel allow it?

Price is below $300 for the barrel. Stainless with rear peep and optic front sights. I'd probably put a 2-7 scope on it.

What bullets would be best?

Thoughts? Yay....nay?

I'm looking at purchasing a 20" barrel for my Encore in 460 S&W. No need for it, just a want for something big bore. Was looking for a 375JDJ but a deal didn't happen and now see this one. :D

Just looking for some information on this round. Done some reaearch and looks like a pretty cool round. Reasonably priced to load for. Would I need a muzzle break? And if so, would the 20" barrel allow it?

Price is below $300 for the barrel. Stainless with rear peep and optic front sights. I'd probably put a 2-7 scope on it.

What bullets would be best?

Thoughts? Yay....nay?
I know this is an old thread, but in case anyone is thinking of it, I just did the same thing. Did it as a companion to my 8 3/8" Taurus 454. I was really surprised at how easy it is on the shoulder. I had put on a slip on pad and took it back off after a few rounds. I wish now that that I had shot it first without the scope. On the other hand, when got the 15" pistol Encore (scoped) for the same reason, my son and I both agreed that with 454 or 460 it was the most painful handgun we had ever shot.

In continuing this old thread and responding to your post…..was your experience with the 460 in a S&W XVR or only with the Encore?

My "only" experience with the 460 was in the XVR. I was actually pleasantly surprised with the felt recoil. I'm shooting 400 cast pushed hard…..the muzzle blast, with ear protection, is far worse than felt recoil. In fact, it's much more comfortable than my old S&W 629 running 265 grain cast at maximum load. It just plain hurts….and I experimented with several different grips! memtb

In continuing this old thread and responding to your post…..was your experience with the 460 in a S&W XVR or only with the Encore?

My "only" experience with the 460 was in the XVR. I was actually pleasantly surprised with the felt recoil. I'm shooting 400 cast pushed hard…..the muzzle blast, with ear protection, is far worse than felt recoil. In fact, it's much more comfortable than my old S&W 629 running 265 grain cast at maximum load. It just plain hurts….and I experimented with several different grips! memtb
I have 8 3/8" Taurus raging bull, 15" Encore 460 pistol, and the 20" Encore 460. The one that is uncomfortable to me is the Encore pistol.

I have 8 3/8" Taurus raging bull, 15" Encore 460 pistol, and the 20" Encore 460. The one that is uncomfortable to me is the Encore pistol.

OK…..understood! I have a 2nd. Generation Contender and found that it's recoil is IMO worse than it should be with little .223 Rem. rounds! memtb

I put a 500 S&W Katahdin barrel on my Encore rifle. That thing was abusive! I had a hard time getting it to shoot consistently. I came to the conclusion that the mightily 500 may have just been too much for an Encore platform. It literally was a BLAST to shoot when I had it. :rolleyes: 🤣

I put a 500 S&W Katahdin barrel on my Encore rifle. That thing was abusive! I had a hard time getting it to shoot consistently. I came to the conclusion that the mightily 500 may have just been too much for an Encore platform. It literally was a BLAST to shoot when I had it. :rolleyes: 🤣
I have a 416 Rigby Encore. 350 gr. bullet @ 2725 fps. It generates 106 foot pounds of recoil. If I shoot it standing, it makes me take a step back when fired. And the spur on the trigger guard slams into my knuckles.
From the bench I use a lead sled with 60# of lead. It moves me and the lead back over a foot. It shoots very good groups though.

Last edited:
I love my Encore,but I put a 45-70 barrel on it and the recoil split my Boyd's thumbhole stock in about 20 rounds.

No lead sled just my antique shoulder for resistance.

With 454 powder charge and 300gr xtp mag mine is fun to shoot and will flatten deer. You notice the recoil but it's not excessive comparable to a 12ga slug or 3" turkey load.
At full power 460 level it's a handful and will absolutely jump out of your hands if not prepared for it. Of the 20rds of full power ammo I loaded I've still got 12 that's the level of near abuse it'll give, very snappy even with the comfort tech stock. Recoil similar to full house 45-70 loads in a lever gun. If you're anywhere near Ky lake swing by and you can shoot mine a couple times.

I love my Encore,but I put a 45-70 barrel on it and the recoil split my Boyd's thumbhole stock in about 20 rounds.

No lead sled just my antique shoulder for resistance.

I also had a 20" 45=70 Katahdin bbl for my Encore rifle. It made a really great and rather handy short rifle package. It was very easy to maneuver around in an elevated box blind. The 45-70 was accurate and tolerable compared to the 500 S&W version.