Swift vs Sierra vs Speer for manuf tolerances

M_freeman

I am gonna test a bunch of different bullets in my 7-08 and am looking at Swift SCII, Sierra Game King and the Speer Boatail (not hotcore). How do these compare for consistent bullet to bullet manufacturing tolerences

Doesn't really matter if your rifle does not like the bullet and shoots 2.0 MOA with it as compared to 0.13 with the other. Been down this road many times. Internet performance versus range performance are two different things. Killed and seen killed, a lot of deer with Speers. They don't get much credit on this forum but they are good bullets if your rifle will shoot them well

While at Bass Pro the other day, I was surprised to see that they reintroduced a boat load of reloading equipment because for several years, they cleaned it all out and got rid of it. I saw some Speer match bullets on the shelf and my first thought was wondering how they shoot and how they perform on game since the Amax, VLD, and SMK seem to be used frequently.

Take note, Speer has been around a very very long time and they know what they are doing. If I recall correctly, Hornady and Speer started together. I've killed game with speer bullets and frankly in ALL of my rifles they always kicked Sierra and Hornady's asses in terms of accuracy.

I found my oldest load book from 20 something years ago and saw where I used Speer a lot more than I remembered. Those and NBTs.

As to the Scirocco bullets, if you want to be impressed, spin some of these on the Juenke internal concentricity comparator. But despite that this bullet is so concentric it is a picky bullet. Solid copper, solid lead and it can be frustrating to work with but this is yet another underdog bullet that has proven to me that it is a gamegetter.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.