Swift Scirocco II from 7RM?

G19Jeeper

Good afternoon all, I have a custom Rem 700 with Benchmark 26" fluted barrel and HS precision stock. I am wanting to develope a good "all around" hunting load for it that can be used here in PA for black bear, white tail and if I go out west for mulies. Elk I would likely shoot Accubond or partitions. The question is, could I cover ALL my bases with a 150 gr Swift Scirocco II and is it fairly easy to find a load for them? Any real world hunting experiences with the bullet or tips for handloading for it are appreciated I.e. "they like to be loaded for jump" etc

In my experience with one rifle, the Scirocco was kinda temperamental. I've also read that they aren't the easiest to do load development. On the good side, submit your questions thru their website and most likely the CEO will call you back and discuss tech questions

Here's probably the gent you need to speak with - he and plenty of customers have used the Scirocco & II's

I have used the Scirocco II in a 300 RUM on elk and deer and the performance has been great. Most have been Remington factory loads with the 180 gr Scirocco. Distances have been from 200 yards to 660. They are one of my favorite bullets to use on big game. DD62

I'd say from 20 yards here in PA out to 500 yards out west. I don't feel I would need to shoot further than that out west, at that point I would stalk closer.
That 150gr Scirocco looks like a viable choice to me.

Here is the load data sheet for the 7mm Rem Mag from my Swift manual:

Swift Data.JPG

So, let's say you can average 2950fps, here is what the ballistics look like:

JBM.JPG

And from Swift's website showing bullet expansion:

FPS.JPG

Looks to me like that bullet will hold together at 20 yards and yet provide enough expansion at 500 yards to be effective.....but YMMV

Hope this helps :cool:

Last edited:
They don't make a tougher hunting bullet as far as I'm concerned. I've shot eastern white tails from as close as 30 yards to 475 yards with the 150gr 308 version. Moving them at 3050. At 30 yards, I didn't get a passthru but weight retention was very high. I've only recovered a couple of them. I would trust my life to them if I were in a situation where I needed high velocity penetration through some gnarly hide and bone.

But.

They had their downsides for me. Not knocking the bullet, but I finally gave up on finding a load that actually looked good on paper. I also switched to a bullet that wasn't as tough…I know I know dead is dead. I was ending up with longer recoveries with minimal blood in a lot of situations. They were TOO tough for the hunting I do. Now if I'm going after something sturdier than a 190 pound whitetail, I'll think about the sciroccos. I'll also think about accubonds. The ogive on the accubonds looks to facilitate load development a lot better and from what I hear, they're bonded just as good as the swifts.

That 150gr Scirocco looks like a viable choice to me.

Here is the load data sheet for the 7mm Rem Mag from my Swift manual:

View attachment 415910

So, let's say you can average 2950fps, here is what the ballistics look like:

View attachment 415911

And from Swift's website showing bullet expansion:

View attachment 415912

Looks to me like that bullet will hold together at 20 yards and yet provide enough expansion at 500 yards to be effective.....but YMMV

Hope this helps :cool:
One thing I never understood about Swift was how vague the manual is. I purchased the latest edition last year and was surprised to only find a few powders listed for a given cartridge and bullet.

Thank you for the info. I am gonna invest some time and components and see if my Benchmark barrel likes them. Just gotta find a good lot of brass to start with.

I've shot the 180 Scirocco in a 300 Dakota and killed elk at 20 yards and antelope a 470. It kills like lightning and has been very accurate in my Dakota 97. I just got some 130s to try in my 6.5x284 Cooper LR

Good afternoon all, I have a custom Rem 700 with Benchmark 26" fluted barrel and HS precision stock. I am wanting to develope a good "all around" hunting load for it that can be used here in PA for black bear, white tail and if I go out west for mulies. Elk I would likely shoot Accubond or partitions. The question is, could I cover ALL my bases with a 150 gr Swift Scirocco II and is it fairly easy to find a load for them? Any real world hunting experiences with the bullet or tips for handloading for it are appreciated I.e. "they like to be loaded for jump" etc
Howdy, I like the 150 S 2. They will flatten any animal in the lower 48. My Ruger M77 likes Rl-19 and H.1000. You may need to be around 40 - 50 thou. off your lands, and they like to be pushed. But everyone's rifles are different. Yes they are underrated bullets, once you find the sweet spot, your good. 👍😎

Start them .050 off the lands, and move back as required.

When I ran a custom 7 mag, I used rl25 and the 150ss.

I'm shooting them out of a custom 280, 2990, using rl26. Have them at .050