SWFA SS 5-20 HD, NightForce SHV 4x14 F1, or US Optics ST10

I got to play with that 4-14 SHV F1 today and aside from the shortish eye relief I really liked it. I had it for a couple hours, zeroing and getting some drop data. The glass looked good, I had it next to a Nikon Monarch X 4-16 and a Nightforce NXS 5.5-22. I didn't have time to do a thorough comparison but it was at least as good as the Nikon and maybe a hair less resolution than the NXS. It was 90+ degrees and the mirage was killer near ground level, so I was looking at tree tops out to 1100 yards.
My buddy said he had the SHV and a new Monarch out right at dark and the Nikon couldn't compare.
I liked the turrets on this scope, at least the elevation turret (reminds me of a NXS). The windage is the small capped one that I think is the same as both turrets on the 3.5-10 SHV I played with earlier this year...and didn't exactly care for, they felt cheap.
Something else, the illumination is non existent until lighting is pretty low. It seems pretty weak on this particular scope compared to my NXS. I do like that it has an off position between the numbered intensity settings.
Not exactly scientific or even professional comparison, but did what I could with what I had.

I got to play with that 4-14 SHV F1 today and aside from the shortish eye relief I really liked it. I had it for a couple hours, zeroing and getting some drop data. The glass looked good, I had it next to a Nikon Monarch X 4-16 and a Nightforce NXS 5.5-22. I didn't have time to do a thorough comparison but it was at least as good as the Nikon and maybe a hair less resolution than the NXS. It was 90+ degrees and the mirage was killer near ground level, so I was looking at tree tops out to 1100 yards.
My buddy said he had the SHV and a new Monarch out right at dark and the Nikon couldn't compare.
I liked the turrets on this scope, at least the elevation turret (reminds me of a NXS). The windage is the small capped one that I think is the same as both turrets on the 3.5-10 SHV I played with earlier this year...and didn't exactly care for, they felt cheap.
Something else, the illumination is non existent until lighting is pretty low. It seems pretty weak on this particular scope compared to my NXS. I do like that it has an off position between the numbered intensity settings.
Not exactly scientific or even professional comparison, but did what I could with what I had.

Thank you sir

I have the SS 5-20 x 50 on a 6.5 Creedmor. The glass is sharp no distortion of color.
It tracks perfectly.
I've never had more durable scopes than the SS scopes. I have 3 others, 3-15 x 42, 6 x 42 and 1-4 x 24.

FWIW - My girlfriend dropped a stack of splitboards on my rifle with the 3-15 x 42 on it. The scope took most of the hit and it was undamaged with no shift in zero.

So Wlfdg how is the 3-15x42? I will never really shoot on 20 power so is the 3-15 glass pretty good compared to the5-20 HD

It's a great scope! The glass quality is excellent. I'm no expert but I can't really tell much of a difference between it and the 5-20.
The turret design isn't the same quality. They're still quite audible and tactile.
I just ordered another one today for a .223 build I have in the works. For what that's worth?

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.