SWFA SS 5-20 HD, NightForce SHV 4x14 F1, or US Optics ST10

xFREDRICKx

In the market for a new scope in this price range of these three. Wanting some opinions on these. Tracking, durability, and glass. I will be shooting out to 1200 yards eventually would like to go after a mile and also hunting. Most of the time game will be out further than 50 yards.

A buddy of mine just bought the same Nightforce, be advised it has 2.8" of eye relief. When he looked at it in the store he said he loved it. When he got it home and mounted it he said he immediately hated it and regrets buying it.:D
He said he is selling it and gonna spend the extra few hundred on an NXS. You can find a good used one for under $1500.
After that experience I would say the 5-20 SS will do anything you want.

I have the SS 5-20 x 50 on a 6.5 Creedmor. The glass is sharp no distortion of color.
It tracks perfectly.
I've never had more durable scopes than the SS scopes. I have 3 others, 3-15 x 42, 6 x 42 and 1-4 x 24.

FWIW - My girlfriend dropped a stack of splitboards on my rifle with the 3-15 x 42 on it. The scope took most of the hit and it was undamaged with no shift in zero.

Thanks. I am not a fan of that eye relief. So now it is between the SWFA and the US Optics. Does anyone have experince with that specific US Optics model? I have been arouns the SWFA but not the US Optics i know it is fixed power but i just read great things.

I have a buddy that has a couple of the 10x USO's, as well as a couple 3.2-17's. For a combat optic I would choose a USO over just about anything I've ever handled. They are great; good glass and built like a tank. However, I wouldn't want to spend that kind of money on a fixed power scope. For hunting I would go with the SS.

I have an 8-32 NXS I'm selling if you are interested, if a buddy of mine doesn't buy it. Price is $2,000 and comes with rings, rail, and a free rifle. Lol

What's your favorite of the ss scores you have?
That's not a cut and dry answer. I think they're all really great scopes.
They have more elevation than I think I'll ever need.

The 5-20 is by far, the nicest scope. The high density glass and higher quality turrets really set it apart. It has 30mils of travel.

The fixed 6x is on my BMag which after a lot of work has become my favorite gun to shoot. I really like the simplicity of the fixed power. I've hit 12" gongs at 600 at the range and at 545 in the field with it. It doesn't really lack in glass quality.

I have a buddy that has a couple of the 10x USO's, as well as a couple 3.2-17's. For a combat optic I would choose a USO over just about anything I've ever handled. They are great; good glass and built like a tank. However, I wouldn't want to spend that kind of money on a fixed power scope. For hunting I would go with the SS.

I have an 8-32 NXS I'm selling if you are interested, if a buddy of mine doesn't buy it. Price is $2,000 and comes with rings, rail, and a free rifle. Lol
Thanks, i know thats a hell of a deal but ny funds are only good for about a $1300 scope. Sometime i will have to buy a US Optics then, but it seems like i am leaning towards the SS

Also why does NF have so many top end scopes SFP? I thought first was better for doing the calculations through your scope? I know it is a big argument between FFP and SFP. I would just think that the reticle that stays true to the magnification would be better.

Makes sense but i just that it would give people a harder time with calculations but in turn gives them a finer point of aim.

In these times of modern, highly accurate range finders I don't think there's a whole lot measuring with reticles?
I only do it myself for preservation of the skills and I think it's fun

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.