SWFA 10x or 12X

NDNmojoman

Hello everyone I'm new to this forum and have a scope question. My question is what the title states. Should I get the 10X or 12X SWFA SS scope? I have checked around and believe this is one of the better choices in my price range ($300-$400). I'm mounting it on a Winchester 70 in 300 win mag. I have been using this rifle to hunt with and getting into banging steel on the weekends with some friends. Shooting around 600 yrds but wanting to get out further around the 1000 yrd mark. Another thing is should I mount it with on a 20-30 MOA base? Thanks for any knowledge you are willing to share.

Hello everyone I'm new to this forum and have a scope question. My question is what the title states. Should I get the 10X or 12X SWFA SS scope? I have checked around and believe this is one of the better choices in my price range ($300-$400). I'm mounting it on a Winchester 70 in 300 win mag. I have been using this rifle to hunt with and getting into banging steel on the weekends with some friends. Shooting around 600 yrds but wanting to get out further around the 1000 yrd mark. Another thing is should I mount it with on a 20-30 MOA base? Thanks for any knowledge you are willing to share.

Welcome to LRH and enjoy!

If you can see the intended target at magnification I'd go with 12X. My old eyes need the 20X.:D

I highly recommend a 20 MOA base even if you have enough scope elevation adjustment.

Good luck!

I have several of the 10X and had one on my 300wm for a few years. It worked great out to 1000 yards. I have a 16X and wouldn't go with it as eye position is critical. I have a 20 moa rail but it isn't necessary; If I were starting out I would get a 20 moa rail for your rifle as it is always best practice to use the adjustment in the center of the scope rather than at the top end of the adjustment cycle. I am sure the 12x is great and would probably be best for what you are doing. You can't g wrong with a SS!

Thanks for the information. Its always good to get some advice from someone that has used the equipment. The cost of trying things out gets costly fast in this sport.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.