Swarovski z5 or z6

I can't compare the Z6 to my Z5s.
I bought one Z5 3.5-18x ~6yrs ago for my primary backpack hunting rifle. BRH reticle. Had the High Power Optics' aftermarket turrets installed. Liked it so much I purchased another 2yrs later. Both are installed on high recoiling, muzzle-braked rifles. Nice glass, repeatable turrets, light weight, and durable (so far). Great scopes for backpacking hunting rifles.

I may buy one more...

I'd have to win the lottery before I'd purchase Z6. Even then - not. I'd still have to pack it around in the mountains during hunting seasons. Or leave it at the house.

Pretty much narrowed it down wanna go look thru it in person first but the leupold vx6hd 3-18-50. Liked everything I read about it !
I don't even have the HD models and haven't looked through one but will eventually replace just about all of my other scopes with either the 3-18x50 or 4-24x52's.

For low light though that 56mm obj and HD glass should really be fantastic.

If the gun is for backpacking, get the Z5. I didn't look up stats, but if I recall the Z5 is considerably lighter than anything in its class. In fact, its the best quality glass to weight scope on the market IMO. They are very lightweight and very good glass. I have many and the glass is infinitely better than a few bushnell elite tacticals I have (which are very good). 6-25x52 and the sheep hunter model with the 52 being my preference. You can make custom turrets for the BT version if you're handy and can make your own stickers. I have dial turrets out to 95 clicks on mine I believe and on all 8 I own. Lot of work, but they're absolutely awesome once set up. I forget the custom turret sticker company name, but they are great. Simply remove the 3 silver rings off the BT turret and apply a sticker around them along with a sticker at the base of the turrnet (part that doesn't spin). I should probably upload a pic or start a new thread to demonstrate, but am at work.

looking at getting a swarovski z5 or z6. Probably won't be shooting past 500 yrds and having problem deciding if the z6 is worth the extra money thinking of 5-30. Or 3-18 thanks
I have both the Z5, Z6, and the X5i. The Z5 is a great scope but in no way does it come close to comparing to the Z6. In low light conditions the Z6 blows it out of the water. The X5i is even better. Given that your not looking to shoot past 500yrds I would go with the Z6 3-18. You will not be disappointed in the glass and will not feel the need to upgrade. In my opinion Swarovski has the best glass hands down. Not all Swarovski scopes are created equal but almost all are solid, reliable, and have superior glass. When you get to the z6 and X5i you would be hard pressed to find better glass.

What Tech270 said is spot on.

One thing you have to remember is EVERYONE will suggest what they OWN as THE BEST cuz they dont want to admit they screwed up, same on any forum.

Go with the best you can afford, go to Cabelas, they stock most of the good ones. See if they have a couple wood stocks with that rubber scope holder. Use the same power setting, look, look, look, compare and whittle down. Pick a dark spot across the store, see if the salesperson will walk with you outside. Everything looks good during the daylight.

I love my swaro's because of the weight and the ballistic turrets. The Nightforce SHV is a fantastic scope too and not too heavy. I love Leupold, they are lightweight and are doing a great job working their way back to the top.

As far as i know there is no HD glass in the Z5, i have used both and including the 5-25 Z5 and 5-30 Z6, if weight is no problem then go with the Z6, if you need lightweight the Z5 is good,

the biggest advantage with the Z6is much better field of view, i fyou want really low weight then you need the Z3,
cheers

Z5 3.5-18x44 BRH is what Swarovski in Rhode Island would recommend for your situation. I had the 25 power and it was too much magnification for hunting.

One thing you have to remember is EVERYONE will suggest what they OWN as THE BEST cuz they dont want to admit they screwed up, same on any forum.

I certainly would beg to differ. I purchased a Swarovski z5 because I heard they were so good. It was a dismal disappointment. So were the next two; which were not as good as the first. I kept the fourth for two reasons: Because they are four ounces lighter than the Bushnell 6500 4 1/2-30X50 and it matched the Bushnell in low light. My only experience with a z6 5-20X50 is a friend's. When he compared it with my Bushnell, he sold it. Since the 4 1/2-30X50 is no longer available I don't have a favorite anymore.

Maybe I will have to save and get a March 2 1/2-25X52. Hopefully it will live up to the hype.

Z5 3.5-18x44 BRH is what Swarovski in Rhode Island would recommend for your situation. I had the 25 power and it was too much magnification for hunting.

I used a z5 5-25X52 for two seasons. I didn't use it on 25X except once when I found some buck with my binoculars. I had to turn up the magnification all the way to 25X to verify one was legal. The rest of the time it was on 5X. Even in the woods 5X works fine.

I purchased a Swarovski Z5 because I heard they were so good. It was a dismal disappointment. So were the next two; which were not as good as the first.

I wish all the scopes I've purchased were as pleasing and impressive as the two Z5s I purchased and continue to use. I'll take more such "dismal disappointments" with glee.

We all have opinions and it's challenging to find objective information. With that said, I sold all but a couple bushnell tactical
Elites and 6500s for swaro Z5s. I 'thought' they are so much better that I paid more and had to re mount and re sight every rifle I own. That said, a few threads up sums up very accurately. The bushnells are very nice scopes and for the price are even more attractive but my opinion, and like above said, it's just my opinion that the z5 was that much better BEFORE I bought 7 more scopes and reworked all my long rangers. My biased is not owning them and after fact reviewing them, rather being strongly attracted to light weight backpack rifles that can reach out to respectable hunting ranges. If latter was not the fact, I'd probably stayed with the bushnell or better scopes such as z6i. I still think the z5 is great glass for the weight and better than any bushy I own(ed). Not to pirate the thread but having owned a LOT of top end bushnell scopes, I noiticed they are not consistently top quality from scope to scope. I had many of the same model in the $1500-$2k range that came from identical boxes (matching model numbers, same scope) yet were noticeably not the same edge to edge quality. Like not even close. I used bushnell's warranty several times however with pleasant and successful results and customer service so dont let me knock the wonderful Kansas City company or their products. Just saying the z5 with my ballistic turret upgrade trumped every one I owned from an optical quality and usefulness in my opinion. Enough so it cost me about $10k more in my gun battery.

Last edited:
Some of the best $10K you ever spent though! :):D

I'm now shopping for a 3rd Z5. 3.5-18X44mm with BRH reticle, to be outfitted with the High Power Optics aftermarket turrets.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.