Swarovski z5 or z6

We have a piece of land where we camp from spring till the end of hunting season. Elk come out to feed about 1200 yards from us. over the last 25 years have compared a lot of scopes at dawn and dusk.
The Swaro z6 is the best low light glass looking at game. It is a little better than the z5. There are 8 guys i know now using swaros for elk hunting.
The z5 is lighter and for your intended purpose will work very well.

Axl,

How many samples did you guys get to look through? I had four z5 5-25X52 and the difference from one to the other was stark. My gunsmith was discussed with their lack of consistency. My experience with the z6 5-30X50 is the one my friend brought to compare. After he compared it with my Bushnell he sold it. At the time he mentioned, "I always thought that one was not very good." Swarovski needs to get their act together in regards to consistency.

I would go to their website and look at light transmission values for both. They list both scopes at 90% Zeiss Victory HT is right at 95% . I would buy a S&B, Zeiss HT or Leica ERi for lowlight hunting. JMHO

Z5 one inch tube, lots of magnification and significantly lighter. The 3.5x18x44 is only 15 ounces, so as light as many ultra light scopes that have far less magnification. Personally, for those reasons, I like the Z5 better than the Z6.

As to a Bushnell having better glass than a Swaro, that must be one truly special edition of that scope. I have a couple of the 6500 scopes and the glass, while pretty good, is nowhere near as good as what is in a Swaro or a Leupold. I envy you your luck.

Dean2,

Interesting. When I had a Leupold VX-6 4-24X52 I noticed it displayed more vibrant colors than the Bushnells or the Swarovskis I had. All three of my 4 1/2-30X50 have better glass than the four 6500 2 1/2-16X I bought and returned. My son-in-law compared all three of the 4 1/2-30X and the four z5s. He agreed all four of the z5s were not as good. The guy who brought his z6 and z8i for comparison sold his z6 after comparing it with my 6500.

By the way his Swarovski z8i is fantastic. But with my experience I would not bet the next one will be.

I'll throw in a ringer for you. For best low light performance take a look at the Trijicon Accupoint with a 56mm Obj.

At the ranges you're working at you can waste a lot of money on features that won't help you at all.

Another if you can find any still around are the Leupold VX3L in 4.5-14x56.

I've run both for quite a few years on my hog/predator rifles and they are amazing in low light.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Trijicon-T...:aqYAAOSwKrhVdGdS:sc:USPSPriority!76380!US!-1

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Leupold-VX...:cyUAAOSwvmNbKtXj:sc:USPSPriority!76380!US!-1

Another leupold worth looking at here.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Leupold-VX...432832&hash=item1a5eae60f8:g:EM0AAOSwEuxboVK-

Personally I think you'd be hard pressed to beat the VX6 in either 3-18x50 or 4-24x52 illum models with the TMOA reticle but the 56mm obj will give you a bit better edge in low light.
Ya hawaii. Only need the glass for shooting axis bucks and goat here though get a lot of open country

Personally, for those reasons, I like the Z5 better than the Z6.

As to a Bushnell having better glass than a Swaro, that must be one truly special edition of that scope. I have a couple of the 6500 scopes and the glass, while pretty good, is nowhere near as good as what is in a Swaro or a Leupold. I envy you your luck.

It requires "Bushnell" eyes.

I wouldn't automatically discount what he has just because it says bushnell. I do have one pair of Elite Binos from years ago that are just phenomenal. I've tried Leica, Zeiss, Swarovski EL's and just keep selling them because they aren't any better to my eyes. Now this is the exception to the rule, and I'm positive that every pair of Elites wouldn't be better then every pair of alpha glass, but every once in a while you can get lucky.

Everyone's eyes are going to see different and I'd consider myself somewhat an optics snob.

I have never felt I couldn't take a shot during legal shooting hours, and beyond, with my Z5

I have never felt I couldn't take a shot during legal shooting hours, and beyond, with my Z5

The z5 5-25X I kept was a very nice scope; as far as glass is concerned. It matched the VX-6 4-24X and Bushnell in low light. (I kept it because it was four ounces lighter than the Bushnell.) I sold it after it came back the second time for a replaced erector. At least that's what the note said both times. I placed it for sale on the 'net with full discloser and never heard back from the buyer, so I guess it worked out for him.

I wouldn't automatically discount what he has just because it says bushnell. I do have one pair of Elite Binos from years ago that are just phenomenal. I've tried Leica, Zeiss, Swarovski EL's and just keep selling them because they aren't any better to my eyes. Now this is the exception to the rule, and I'm positive that every pair of Elites wouldn't be better then every pair of alpha glass, but every once in a while you can get lucky.

Everyone's eyes are going to see different and I'd consider myself somewhat an optics snob.
I grew up on Bushnell scopes and have tried dozens of them over the last few decades and never found even one that could compete with the Leupold's or higher end scopes.

As consumers we develop loyalties and when we do often, no amount of fact will dissuade the true believers. My dad suffered from that particularly with respect to the Bushnell scopes.

I grew up on Bushnell scopes and have tried dozens of them over the last few decades and never found even one that could compete with the Leupold's or higher end scopes.

As consumers we develop loyalties and when we do often, no amount of fact will dissuade the true believers. My dad suffered from that particularly with respect to the Bushnell scopes.

There are those who are obsessed with the idea they are ahead of the pack and unjustifiably look down on certain brands or people.

I am not loyal to the mark. I am more than a little disappointed with Swarovski and some other supposedly good brands.

The best scope value is Tasco. For about $100 you can get a scope that will be good enough for 99% of hunting situations.

I agree wholeheartedly. To be fair it's the only Bushnell product I own. Other then that Bushnell the cheapest scope I own is vx3. Including several Schmidt and Bender PM2, Leupold Mark8, VX6hd, VX5hd, Nightforce ATACR, etc.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.