Swarovski Scopes for Long Range Hunting

Chesspunker, you will definitely notice a big difference between your Z3 and a Z6. I have Z3s, Z5s and a Z6. Rather than the 2-12x50 you may like to look at the 3-18x50 and these are the reasons why. Firstly 18 power at 500 yards is an advantage, you can still use 12 power if you wish but the higher power is there if you need it. Second the 3-18x50mm has side parallax adjustment, the 2-12x50mm doesn't.
Thirdly Swarovski use HD lenses in only the Z6 scopes above the 2.5-15x44mm so the
3-18x50mm has HD lenses where the 2-12x50mm doesn't. You may have a specific reason for the 2-12 but I thought it was worth pointing out these differences.

Chesspunker, you will definitely notice a big difference between your Z3 and a Z6. I have Z3s, Z5s and a Z6. Rather than the 2-12x50 you may like to look at the 3-18x50 and these are the reasons why. Firstly 18 power at 500 yards is an advantage, you can still use 12 power if you wish but the higher power is there if you need it. Second the 3-18x50mm has side parallax adjustment, the 2-12x50mm doesn't.
Thirdly Swarovski use HD lenses in only the Z6 scopes above the 2.5-15x44mm so the
3-18x50mm has HD lenses where the 2-12x50mm doesn't. You may have a specific reason for the 2-12 but I thought it was worth pointing out these differences.

I liked the idea of 12 power magnification since you must be at max power for the reticle holds to be accurate. I figured that 12 power would be good enough for 500 yards and still give me a wide enough field of view for follow up shots. I appreciate your post and will verify directly with Swarovski about the HD lenses. You really helped me because for sure I want a parallax knob so now I'm definitely leaning towards the 18 powered Z6.

Last edited:
Hi All,

After carefully considering your opinions I'm now leaning towards a custom ballistic turret on a Swarovski Z6 3-18 x 50. This will allow me to adjust for long distanc without having to worry about being on max power. It will also allow me to have a parallax knob and the best glass on the market.

I figure I'll hunt with my turret set to a 200 yard zero so I'll be good on a quick shot out to 300 yards (aiming a little above animal center line at 300 like I currently do without a long range scope). For the far shots I should have plenty of time to adjust for parallax and distance. Your opinions please?

Hi All,

After carefully considering your opinions I'm now leaning towards a custom ballistic turret on a Swarovski Z6 3-18 x 50. This will allow me to adjust for long distanc without having to worry about being on max power. It will also allow me to have a parallax knob and the best glass on the market.

After comparing lots of optics I discovered z6 5-30X50 does not have glass as good as my three 6500 4 1/2-30X50. But the Swarovski z8i 2.7-18X56 has noticeably better glass than my stuff.

If you were to set up a 200 yard zero you could then use the three turret rings for three additional ranges at say green 300y, yellow 400y and red 500y. People talk about getting a personalized turret but if you decide to change bullet weight or velocity the turret no longer works. The turrets that come with the scopes can be alerted any time you want to.

I've always loved Swarovski scopes for their glass. I'm thinking of upgrading my deer rifle from a Z3 4-10 x 42 plex reticle to a big boy scope that will make it easier to shoot long distances.

Does anyone else out there use Swarovski and have success with long range shooting? A friend of mine told me to stay away from Swarovski for long range since they only have 2nd focal plane as an option meaning you must be at max power for your hold lines to be valid. Personally, I would think that if you are shooting super long range you would always want to have your scope on max power, but I'm new to the long range game and I'd like to hear opinions.

Please give me your pros or cons about Swarovski. If you are against them please give me your scope of choice and why. I definitely want a lined reticle with built in holds because it sounds much easier than having to turn a turret all the time.

Thanks!
I have a Z5 5x25 on my 300 wby, really like it, very light. Haven't shot any game past 400 yard with it, but have shot at range up to 700 yards. I really like it, and if your looking for a lightweight hunting rig, this would fit the bill

I have a Z5 5x25 on my 300 wby, really like it, very light. Haven't shot any game past 400 yard with it, but have shot at range up to 700 yards. I really like it, and if your looking for a lightweight hunting rig, this would fit the bill
Do you have a ballistic turret or The BRH?

Do you have a ballistic turret or The BRH?
I have the ballistic turret option. I use the 3 color bands to setup my ranges, I zero at 200, and have the other markers at 300,400 and 500 yards, like someone else said. I live in Mid Atlantic, but hunt a good bit out west, so the altitude change has an impact. Plus you can fine tune the computer generated numbers on your distances at the range to adjust for theoretical vs actual performance. I have thought about buying a custom turret, but the out of the box ballistic turret is very nice if you work with it.

I'm definitely leaning in that direction. My buddy was a marine sniper and he raves about the Horus reticle so I'm still going to research that option before making my final choice but I love Swarovski so much it's going to be hard for me to change brands.

If I go Swarovski I'm definitely getting a ballistic turret.

I'm definitely leaning in that direction. My buddy was a marine sniper and he raves about the Horus reticle so I'm still going to research that option before making my final choice but I love Swarovski so much it's going to be hard for me to change brands.

If I go Swarovski I'm definitely getting a ballistic turret.

The Horus reticle is way too busy for hunting IMHO. The z 5 will suit you just fine, if you're looking at a z6, just get the z8. If you're looking to read worthless posts, just search wrongman on 24hourcampfire..

Looking on line the difference in price between a standard Z6 with Plex reticle and a Z6 with Plex reticle and Ballistic Turret is around $70. Although the Z8 is a very nice scope you have to buy the Ballistic Turret as an optional extra and they cost between $270 and $300. For you gentlemen with Z5 and Z6 BT models you may be interested in this site https://znikiz.com/
They make 5 ring sets that replace the standard Swarovski set of 3 rings.

The Horus reticle is way too busy for hunting IMHO. The z 5 will suit you just fine, if you're looking at a z6, just get the z8. If you're looking to read worthless posts, just search wrongman on 24hourcampfire..

From my experience I agree with WRO about the z8. The z8 is about my favorite scope; alas I can't afford one. I've owned four z5's and tried a z6. As far as the z5 and z6 I would get a Bushnell 6500 4 1/2-30X50 over either of those. They are 22 ounces.

Why would we want to read worthless post by anyone at 24hourcampfire?

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.