Long range scope for hunting

There are no moa reticle options in the vx5hd but the vx6hd has the T-moa that looks pretty good. I am concerned about the zerostop. I only find a Zerolock keeping the knobs from turning by accident. Can anyone confirm this scope has a zeroSTOP?

Also the "push button" pop up lock feature sounds like something that could malfunction, anyone had issues here?

The 20oz weight sounds amazing!

Yes it is a zero stop. The button pops out and you can't turn it without depressing the button. It's a pretty slick system. You are limited to 38 MOA adjustment because it only goes 2 revolutions. I have had zero problems with my turret. It sounds like the old version of the turret had problems but the new ZL 2 is awesome. You can get windplex reticle for The Vx5hd and dial for elevation and hold for wind.

There are no moa reticle options in the vx5hd but the vx6hd has the T-moa that looks pretty good. I am concerned about the zerostop. I only find a Zerolock keeping the knobs from turning by accident. Can anyone confirm this scope has a zeroSTOP?

Also the "push button" pop up lock feature sounds like something that could malfunction, anyone had issues here?

The 'impact 29' reticle is is available for Vx5hd 3-15x44 - it's a pretty sweet, and MOA based

Actually, Sightron is accepting the SIII for retrofit zero stop installs right now. I think they plan on having the zero stop avilable for purchase by June but I'm not sure on exactly when.

I emailed the sightron custom shop about adding a zero stop to my 8-32 SIII and they quoted me $150. That killed the deal for me, too much money for a scope that cost $730 new.

I emailed the sightron custom shop about adding a zero stop to my 8-32 SIII and they quoted me $150. That killed the deal for me, too much money for a scope that cost $730 new.

$730+$150 for the sightron S111. I have 2 of them back be retrofitted now with the new zero stop. I have Nightforce SHV and leupold VX6. At $880. The sightron is the best bang for the buck IMO. I have tested the 3 side by side. The vx6 has a little bit better glass in lowest light but The nightforce SHV and Sightron S111 overall are my favorite for turret reliability and overall quaiity. And at 24 Ozs for the sightron I will pack it anyday over the nightforce. At $880. is still cheaper then all of them.

I have heard a lot of good things about the new ziess but have not tried one yet.

FWIW, I have the older VX6, pre hd. It came with firedot duplex and a regular CDS system. I sent it in and had it switched to firedot windplex, and both turrets have been retrofitted to the ZL2 lock system. The elevation goes up two turns and and back down where it locks. The windage is what they call 'split'....so one turn right and one turn left. Locks in the middle.

For me, it is the best system I have worked with (I have the locking turret Zeiss HD5 as well). Not that the turrets are the most positive, they are definitely not. But I like turrets that lock on hunting rifles, and of those that I have tried that have locks, these are my favorite. Glass is really great, especially evident at low light. Some folks have complained that Leupolds don't track well....I have not experienced that on this scope nor on my son's Vx3i.

I understand that the new Mark 5 has a three turn lock system. Don't know if that is retrofittable, but it might be. Either way, even 38 MOA will get you out there pretty far....another 19 would be nice but I don't have that much travel in my scope anyway.

HTH!

The Impact 29 reticle is IMO the most useful reticle Leupold offers. It is MOA based and it is available on the VX5HD 3-15x44. The Zero Lock is a zero stop that locks on zero. When you need to dial just push the button and rotate. No malfunctions on any of mine.

The Impact 29 reticle is IMO the most useful reticle Leupold offers. It is MOA based and it is available on the VX5HD 3-15x44. The Zero Lock is a zero stop that locks on zero. When you need to dial just push the button and rotate. No malfunctions on any of mine.
That is the same setup as mine, vx5hd 3-15x44mm with impact 29 moa reticle:cool:

I haven't mentioned budget but I think March scopes are a little out of my feasible range. They are up there with Schmidt&Bender whom also have the ideal scope for me, it's just $3700!

So I am looking more $1000-2000usd
Thank you to all the great responses, I have got some great choices to research
James

I haven't mentioned budget but I think March scopes are a little out of my feasible range. They are up there with Schmidt&Bender whom also have the ideal scope for me, it's just $3700!

So I am looking more $1000-2000usd
Thank you to all the great responses, I have got some great choices to research
James

LOL. Lance has very good taste! and is a wealth of knowledge when it comes to guns/ammo and scopes. I have wanted to try those March Scopes very much! but my budget right now is not on the same page as lances :)

For those with the Leupold CDS-ZL2, have you noticed when you dial half way around the hash marks are no longer lined up? I have purchased two of these and each one when you are at 10moa the scope hash mark is half way between two hashes on the dial.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.