Swaro Z3 3-9x36 vs Leupold VX3HD 2.5-8x36

JimFromTN

Looking for an ultralight scope. The specs on both scopes are perfect for what I am looking for. Has anyone compared these 2 scopes? There is a $200 difference in the 2 if you get the Z3 at cameraland when it is in stock. Is the Z3 worth the extra money? I would normally say yes but I have heard that the VX3HD has better glass than the old VX3's so I don't know if there is allot of difference between the 2. I have been contemplating the Z3 3-10x42 as well. I have a swaro habicht 3-10x42 which is one of my favorites but I don't need the extra magnification, weight, or cost not that it is much. I assume the Z3 3-10x42 is a bit brighter though.

I once had a Swaro Z3 4-12x50 and a Leupold VX3i 4.5-14x50 - Swaro 1" tube and Leupold has 30mm. To my eyes, I liked the Leupold better and still have it. At equal power setting, I did not see the Swarovski having any advantage. Not even at dusk. Now compared to a friend's older Swarovski Habicht - the Swarovski has an edge in clarity and low light.
YMMV

I prefer the Leupold to the Swarovski in this quality/price range. I have never tested Swarovski's customer service. Not sure if they are equal to Leupold.

Actually, that's not true. I sent my 1998 10x42 binos in bc the right side stopped focusing. They rebuilt the entire binocular (including a new body with new serial number) and returned it to me, no charge. Sounds to me like I got a new set of binos … But, I have heard others say Swarovski charged them for damages on their optics.

That's my experience. It's sure there will be someone here who can share their Swarovski customer service experience.