NF 2.5-8x24 vs Mk4 2.5-8x36

Alan Griffith

The theme for my rifle is light to include the caliber. I'm setting up twin Rem 700 CDL SF Limited Editions in 260 Rem; one for me and one for my recently returned to home 18 yr old daughter who announced to me she wants to learn to hunt.

Each rifle will be pillar/glass bedded, recrowned, triggers lightened, Talley bases/rings. Pretty much factory w/ a little tweeking.

With turret turning in mind, I've been thinking of the two mentioned scopes.

I've got plenty of experience with the Mk4's but none w/ the NF's.

Eye relief is identical @ 3.7" plus I can't imagine the 260 Rem really represents an eye cutting recoil.

NF is 9.9" vs the 11.3" in length for the Mk4. Really a moot difference, I think!

NF weight is 17 oz, vs 16 for the Mk4, Agailn, moot!

Difference in MOA adjust range of 100 for the NF and 90 for the Mk4 but that's only a difference of 60 yds before I run out of adjustment and I don't think I'll be shooting over 1000.

Biggest difference is the money; $310. If I go with the zero stop it adds another $180 or $490. That's a hunk of change.

Is the NF really that much better for LRH? Enough to pay that much more $. I understand the value of the zero stops so would probably get it.

Alan

I don't know about you but with 8x magnification I don't feel good shooting much over 300 or 400 yards, everything seems way small. :(

First off the Nightforce is a 2.5X10X24 not an 8 power.

I would opted for the NF 2.5X10X32 if it were me

2.5-10x32 NXS

Magnification:
2.5-10x

Objective Diameter:
32mm

Exit Pupil Diameter:
2.5x: 13.3 mm/10x: 3.3 mm

Field Of View:
2.5x: 44 ft/10x: 11 ft

Eye Relief:
3.7in (95mm)

Internal Adjustment Range:
100moa elev. 100moa wind.

Click Value:
.250moa (1/4 moa)

Tube Diameter:
30mm (1.18in)

Ocular Diameter:
33mm

Mounting Length:
5.7in.

Weight:
19oz

Overall Length:
12in

Reticles:
NP-1, NP-R2, FC-2, Mil-Dot

Well, we've had a few 2.5-8x36 pass through here, and I happen to like them. If the reticle/knobs are to your liking, I would take it over the 2.5-10x24 NXS. The new Nightforce is quite interesting, though.

Scott

The Leupold 2.5-8x36mm are great little scope and are very hard to beat especially for the price. I also really like the TMR reticle. The thing you can get the Nightforce reticle and the turrets to match in value so I'm willing to pay more for MOA reticle w/ MOA turret or MIL reticle w/ MIL turrets.

I myself prefer MIL on MIL.

Mike @ CSGW

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.