Swaro ranging spotter on the cheap

huntsman22

I already have a pair of Swaro spotters, STS-80, STM-65 and didn't want to spend the big bucks for the new ranging reticle spotter ($4000). I found that the Vortex 30x ranging eyepiece will work on the existing swarovski's just fine. The Vortex focal length is 457.74 compared to the 460 on the Swaro. I bought an eyepiece to try, as I couldn't find anybody to confirm it'd work before I spent the coin. Well, it works great. Optics are comparable, fit is good (other than the lock button don't catch on the vortex 'piece) and subtensions are so close MY eye can't tell the difference. And the cost is $189 from B&H or $199 from Cameraland. Great way to get a ranger cheap, if you already have the glass..... Or buy a used scope/vortex eyepiece.....

IMG_8424_zpshreln2vm.jpg

IMG_8431_zps2dtjduy8.jpg

IMG_8430_zpsnmva1tfl.jpg

IMG_8419_zpslh7vbznx.jpg

IMG_4546_zpsqc2ugpmd.jpg

IMG_4534_zpsq2qc3ltt.jpg

Because I'm too stupid to call corrections to other shooters without using a reticle. Haven't found a rangefinder yet, that tells in mils or moa how much to adjust the next shot.

Why guess? Without the reticle, that '3"low, 6" left' at 800 yds is just a guess. If I know how many clicks to adjust by the reticle, there is no guess work involved. But you can continue to guess, if that's what works for you.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts