Swaro PD Hunt in Casper, WY

bailey1474

<strong>SPONSOR</strong>
Lerch and I just found out that we are going on our Swarovski prairie dog hunt July 12-15. We figured that we would have to get there on our own, so we were just going to drive. Today we found out that they are paying for us to fly into Casper. Normally this would be great news, but, unfortunatly, it is going to limit us on firearms that we can take /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif.

We are thinking that we can take all of our "normal firearms" on the plane w/us. We are also wanting to take our 338 AM which weighs in @ about 70 lbs. I looked on American Airlines sight and it looks like they would charge me about $150 to get it up there on the plane. It's also going to cost me an extra $100-$150 for my "normal rifles." I don't know if this is one way or round trip. Would it be cheaper to ship them up there and pick them up than to pay the airline??? Just trying to save a few bucks if it's even possible.

Also, what are the restrictions on taking cleaning solvents on planes??? I'm not going to take my custom rifles if I can't clean them regularly!!

Thanks

hell just ask them to pay for your gas and drive then you can take all the toys and cameras so we can enjoy the pics

I live about an hour and 15 minutes North of Casper. Maybe you boys can venture up here and we can try calling in a Coyote or 2..... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I'm in Casper and here to help.Just ship the rifle and ammo to me and I'll have it sited in(Most of the shooting is @ 5100') and ready to go fer ya /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gifFor an extra couple hundred I'll even save a few dogs for ya /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif
All kidding aside if you need any help let me know,always ready to help a fellow dogger!
It cost me $50 to ship a 36# BMG to Wisc so it would be cheaper to ship them both ways but not by much.If it where me I'd drive,even if I had to pay for it myself.There is no way I'd trust the airlines or the mail with all my shooting gear.

[ QUOTE ]
I'm in Casper and here to help.Just ship the rifle and ammo to me and I'll have it sited in(Most of the shooting is @ 5100') and ready to go fer ya /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gifFor an extra couple hundred I'll even save a few dogs for ya /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif
All kidding aside if you need any help let me know,always ready to help a fellow dogger!
It cost me $50 to ship a 36# BMG to Wisc so it would be cheaper to ship them both ways but not by much.If it where me I'd drive,even if I had to pay for it myself.There is no way I'd trust the airlines or the mail with all my shooting gear.

[/ QUOTE ]

+1 Drive

I agree, suck to get here and not have your guns show up.

you know the airlines are like FedEx !!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]
We are thinking that we can take all of our "normal firearms" on the plane w/us. We are also wanting to take our 338 AM which weighs in @ about 70 lbs. I looked on American Airlines sight and it looks like they would charge me about $150 to get it up there on the plane. It's also going to cost me an extra $100-$150 for my "normal rifles." I don't know if this is one way or round trip. Would it be cheaper to ship them up there and pick them up than to pay the airline??? Just trying to save a few bucks if it's even possible.

[/ QUOTE ]

Lets see $150 for the "bigun" and $100-$150 for the other guns thats $250-$300(could be twice as much if its both ways), gas $2.50 per gal, about 15 mpg, if my maths right thats 1500-1800 miles, unless you're going to take the scenic route thru WI I think I'd drive and shoot what I really wanted to. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Sounds like a great time, but I must agree with some of the others. you will be better off driving with all the gear you and Lerch will be packing. make sure that you take windbreakers and DONT go more than 5mph over the speed limit any where close to Carbon County Wyo. go the speed limit or under close to shirley basin (gestapo Joe resides here under the banner of WHP). make sure you take wind flags or some type of wind meter. have fun and give us a report.
UB

Talked to our rep awhile this afternoon and he seems to think that the outfitter will have an FFL or know someone who does that we can ship them to. Probably will also ship the ammo and cleaning supplies. If we ship it a couple of weeks before it should make it by the time we do even if it does have to go to FL first. We won't be able to take the Wilde and go for any really long shots but oh well. Gotta take the good w/the bad.

I wish we had a week to kill!! I'd love to go to the VHA Jamboree. I have plans to make it in the next couple of years.

I would also like to know what kind of benches these guy have. Regardless of what they have, I would imagine that we'll be reduced to shooting the big gun off of the ground.

I've got a Wild and a supper duty bench,your more than welcome to use them while your here!
I realize these things are by invite only and I get all the shooting a guy could want,I'm just offering my help if youre interested.
307-267-7624

I may just take you up on that. I think we will definatly want to use the Wilde and maybe the bench. We'll see what kind of benches they have. I thought about taking our Wilde on the plane but toting that thing on my shoulder into an airport might not be the best idea I've ever had!!!

Amen , to the advice Unc B gave .

They got me this past fall Unc B /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif My past association with the Sheriff was of no avail /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Jim B

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.