Number of shots in PD town

1kstr

I am curious as to what is the typical average number of rounds you individually fire per day (all calibers/guns) in a prairie dog town/s? In talking with different guys/gals the number seems to range quite a bit. Not including the rounds used for target shooting/paper, etc. but rounds shot at dogs. Also post the calibers used.

Ok, I will start. 225 rounds. Made up of using, 22LR, .223, 22-250, 300WM, 300UM, (and soon to be 270AM). /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

1kstr

I don't keep a lot of detailed records , but I did it for a few days in Texas where the Average per day was roughly 250 . One stellar day in S. Dakota I did count the empties at the end of the day ....about 600 ! Mostly 223's and 220 Swift .

Never really been out for a full day of it. Anymore, we just set up for 700+ yd shots and don't shoot more than 50 or so rounds. I'd bet we'll burn a few more than that in WY though!!

1000yrdshooter, we don't have Pdogs in Cali, however we do have squirrel towns. I average about 100 rounds with the 10/22 and about 50 or 60 rounds for long range shots with what ever caliber I am using at the time.

Wildcat

15-750 rounds/day.It depends on the area and time of year.During the late season and before the pups are out it can get challangeing to get more than 50 rounds a day.If you find a town that has not ben shot for a couple of years and the weather cooperates=every barrel ya got will be smokin /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif
On average though 250 rounds will get me through the day.
For shots under 150yards the 17HMR is hard to beat,it just dont scarem down like a centerfire.For 0-400 yards the 204,223,22-250 and the 243 shootin 55 grainers do a nice job.For shots past 400 the 243 will still work but the 22-250 shootin the 75 Amax and the 6-284 shooting MKs and Bergers really shine.Past 750yards the 6.5-284,7mag and the 308Baer get a chance.The BMGs used to be fun to try for dogs past 2000 yards but I never did get one...just a sore shoulder /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

POP:
Wow. Looks like I need to come to Wyoming. That is alot of good shooting. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
1kstr

[ QUOTE ]
Average day 4-5 guns about 800-1000 rounds.

[/ QUOTE ]
In a 10 hour day that is shot every minute and a half. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

SamSpade
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
In a 10 hour day that is shot every minute and a half. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Not only that but its "AVERAGE" /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

Maybe the sun never sets in Wyoming!
CAM

[ QUOTE ]
SamSpade
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Not only that but its "AVERAGE" /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

Maybe the sun never sets in Wyoming!
CAM

[/ QUOTE ]

When I shot PD's in the Conata Basin last, it would be easy to keep that pace.

It was what it must have been like to shoot Buffalo in the 1800's.

As soon as we reloaded there was another PD - if you were waiting 1.5 minutes between shots, it was because you were letting the barrel cool.

Of course, Conata is no more, thanks to the G.D. black footed ferret.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Is this because the ferrets have destroyed the PD towns, or because it is off limits to hunting to protect the ferrets?

edge.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Is this because the ferrets have destroyed the PD towns, or because it is off limits to hunting to protect the ferrets?

edge.

[/ QUOTE ]
To protect the ferrets that may not even be there?

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.