Survivability of Remington ???

I feel sorry for the workers ,will they get paid out if the company does fold ?? and it's not just remington ! will marlin go as well ?, before they were bought out they made some really high quality rifles.

Exactly, and the State of Alabama who no doubt gave Remington a sweetheart deal to move their operation there, is going to have to pay unemployment to all those unemployed employees that thought they were hiring onto a reputable company. New York slicksters put out crap for as long as they could and now somebody will be left holding the bag while Remington skips on paying the people who delivered goods and services to them.

Nothing say's I had business dealings with a New York company like being ripped off by them. Wow... Remington Outdoor Company and Stephen Feinberg. Like Tuberculosis and coughing.

I'm no Caption of Industry but when every third rifle that goes in a box needs to be sent back for function or fitment issues, should you really be surviving?

The marketplace is obviously making the final determination, i.e. lackluster sales declines because of overpriced-products that few really want. Remember the pre-1964 Model 70 Winchesters? The "new" sometimes does not perform well or sell...

The fact-of-the-matter is - that the action may not even be worth salvaging. Because of CAD/CAM production at many different facilities - you can buy much-better parts for just a few dollars more. Some assembly required, but the low-priced-MOA+ marketplace ($300-750) is already over served & over-supplied!

Make mine SST and machine in a rail, flute the bolt and enlarge the handle. Reduce the number of mechanical connections to the scope and you'll improve your rifle's accuracy. A good Rx may only help yours.

(I'll assume he means "captain of industry" ?)

Last edited:
Ielieve only their p
Exactly, and the State of Alabama who no doubt gave Remington a sweetheart deal to move their operation there, is going to have to pay unemployment to all those unemployed employees that thought they were hiring onto a reputable company. New York slicksters put out crap for as long as they could and now somebody will be left holding the bag while Remington skips on paying the people who delivered goods and services to them.

Nothing say's I had business dealings with a New York company like being ripped off by them. Wow... Remington Outdoor Company and Stephen Feinberg. Like Tuberculosis and coughing.

I believe that only the initial pistol production went to the Huntsville Area.

Wtby moved to Wyoming/Montana for better reasons.

For those of us that have green blood flowing our veins, its a sad day, par, none. Collectively, I hope, and prsy, that things work out, and someday, we all will be proud to be a big green customer, and owner. Blame freedom group, for the shortcomings of recent, not Remington, as a company.
Freedom group be damned!

Sorry to hear this, but don't you think they placed themselves in this tough spot?
I don't think th a Remington, actually did this to themselves, per se, but the HOLDING COMPANY, spelled, FREEDOM GROAP, ( spelled correctly), did this by bleeding them dry, by letting QC, go by the wayside and still collect the same paycheck.. Hopefully, they will get back on there feet, and make guns like they did in the nineties again.
Us green blooded Americans hope so!

In fairness, there is a whole lot of state-of-the-art CAD/CAM production capacity within the Huntsville Area as the result of the NASA facility (my former employer) located there - Geo. C. Marshall Space Flight Center.

But there is more to final production of a quality firearm than simply employing digital technology.

Fit, Finish, and Tolerances - of all of its parts are critical - and that is perhaps where a smaller concern like a Kimber, has established a financial niche, that is today superior to say the mass production mindset of other American arms makers?

BTW - it was a great engineer within NASA's propulsion & vehicle engineering section back during the early-1960s that opened my eyes to long-rang shooting and the then-esoteric physical concept of spin drift. And that was then an offshoot of how we placed things into space orbit... He was routinely hitting targets at 750 yards, and my longest kill shot had been a Colorado ant at 365-paces.

Last edited:
I think that Smith and Wesson is looking a lot like Remington, Not Good!! Remington is possibly just the first of multiple firearm companies going belly up, or at least coming close to it. Idiots in the news don't help them any.

I own allot of them but I agree they have been mismanaged for year and their quality has suffered drastically. Too bad!

A 27% drop in sales the first nine months of 2017 and a $28million operating loss tells me that the AR/Tacticool producing business units were expecting Hillary to get elected.

I don't disagree that Cerberus has mismanaged the firm. They've been trying to unload all of their gun holdings since Sandy Hook- especially Bushmaster. With the banks taking control I'd expect the brands to be ran in a slim and trim fashion with a new purchaser being sought or a filing for public offering.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.