Poaching or survival

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by koginam, Apr 19, 2009.

1. koginam

koginam Well-Known Member

Today while watching one of the hunting shows on TV I saw them hunting Buffalo in Africa, they were in the middle of their stalk when the bulls ran off into the bush, they were very frustrated because they thought they had been going everything right, then they caught a poacher coming threw the brush and blamed him for the problem. Now this guy had a home made rifle and I mean home made, the barrel was a piece of pipe. They made a big thing of him being a poacher and how lucky he was that they caught him and not the game wardens or he would have been shot on sight . They would have to stop the hunt and turn him in to the court where he could get from 1 to 15 years in jail. His crimes included having a gun and a flashlight while trying to feed his family.
    I have no sympathy for someone who kills and leaves the animal or just takes a trophy and leaves the rest to rot, but this guy was feeding his family and his crime seemed to be that he wasn’t paying the government for the right to do so.
    Can you imagine seeing game around you and your family being hungry and someone saying you can’t hunt the game?
    I have been to Africa several times on hunts in 1974, 1976, 1982, 1986, 1991, 1994,1999, 2003, 2005, and 2008, and I have seen several animals hurt by snares and wounded by poachers I was even involved in the capture of several poachers in 1991. After seeing the homes and families of the poachers I insisted they be let go. These people weren’t selling rhino horns or ivory they were trying to survive. You wouldn’t catch my fat old butt out in the bush without a very large caliber rifle and these people were out their with spears and snares.
    I guess my point is that not all poachers are the cold blooded animal killers the environmentalists would like us to believe some are just trying to feed their families. And a man shouldn’t get 1 to 15 years in the can for that.

2. RockyMtnMT

RockyMtnMT Official LRH Sponsor

Guaranteed, I would try to feed mine.

Steve

3. Nape.270

Nape.270 Well-Known Member

For Damn Shure!

4. Buffalobob

Buffalobob Writers Guild

As a registered professional environmental engineer I have dealt with poachers for most of my life. Here's you some poachers and I guess y'all will find some of your friend and relatives amongst them.

5. Michael Eichele

Michael Eichele Well-Known Member

As far as I am concerend, a poacher is an indavidual who has blatant disreguard for the law. He takes the easy way out and kills trophies for sport, fun, bragging rights, money or all of the above while not in season or by gross disreguard for the regulations while in season such as by spot light or an illegal weapon or other illegal meens necesary to bring home the horns.

ANY husband and or father broke and destitute (other than broke and destitute due to stupidity such as gambling issues or drug abuse) trying to provide food for his familiy is a hero.

Most families come upon hard times at some point in their lives. You do what you have to do to survive. Poaching is not surviving, it is stealing. Poachers are thieves plain and simple. Hungry kids are hungry kids and my hungry kids will eat well whether the game is in season or out, albiet I will do everything in my power FIRST to play by the rules.

6. Buffalobob

Buffalobob Writers Guild

That is correct. A person has responsibility to their family.

When a person on this forum spends $5,000 to $8000 to build a custom rifle and another $5,000 to $10,000 to go hunting, they better not claim that they are hunting to feed their family and that it is somehow my fault that there is someone in this world that went to bed hungry.

7. rtv900

rtv900 Well-Known Member

I saw that same show. That guys was just trying to make it through the day and have a meal. He would have shot a buffalo or a rabbit. Whatever he could have hit with that thing of a gun he would have clearly been happy. It was clear that he was not after horns or a head to mount.

I understand poaching is and has been a big problem there but come on. I don't think he had the option or means to go to a grocery store or a place to get food assistance. The guy looked like hell warmed over. I don't approve of poaching but at the same time I could not blame the guy at all. Not for a minute.

8. 7mmSendaro

7mmSendaro Well-Known Member

I would venture to say a lot of folks here have done what was necessary to feed their families. Years ago, I did as well.

I don't consider this poaching and it sounds like it ended badly for the family in need.

9. winmagman

winmagman Well-Known Member

While technically its all poaching, I have no problem with a man that poaches anything with meat on its bones to feed his family. The man that poaches only trophies or anything to turn a profit deserves all manner of ills that befall him.

Chris

10. NONYA

NONYA Banned

Taking game to survive and/or feed your family is NOT poaching in my book,if you think it is you have never been hungry and poor.Poaching is killing trohy animals just for the trophy,I have no problem with someone who is truly in need puting a doe or two in the freezer to feed the kids.gun)

11. luger306

luger306 Active Member

I saw the same show if I remember the man lied about what he was doing and going so what is to say he was not lying about the family. poaching and hunting to feed a family is two different thing

12. phorwath

phorwath Well-Known Member

The economy must be bad for us to debate this survival mode scenario.

13. NONYA

NONYA Banned

wasnt long ago there were plenty of familes around here that hunted whenever they needed meat,trophys had nothing to do with it.A doe deer or a cow elk was the trophy for the freezer.Now we have so many damn deer around town we pay cops to kill them(they just trapped and killed 400) to keep them from eating peoples flowers and killing thier rat dogs.There is no shortage of game around and if someone needs a piece of meat be my guest.

14. buffalorancher

buffalorancher Writers Guild

In my previous life when I was gainfully employed and had no children I was fortunate to be able to hunt Zimbabwe. We came upon several camps of poachers. It was hard for me to understand the extreme anger of my African hosts because the camps all had remains of MEAT animals. Hell, there were warthog hides at 2 of the camps. American's always have the rhino/elephant poachers in mind when you hear of African poaching but the only thing I saw was meat hunters. Nobody bothered the elephants unless they came into a village and there were no rhino but there were plenty of animals for the locals to eat. I truely enjoyed Africa and will hopefully go back someday but I hope I am not too offensive to anyone when I say that Africa is one bassackwards continent. There is a reason most of them don't live in the 21st century or the 16th century for that matter.