SURGEON ACTION

Quick Karl

<font color="blue">Well, I went ahead and did it -- I placed my order for a Surgeon Short Action Repeater today... 4 to 6-weeks and I will post a picture of it. Planning on building a .243 AI - Gary Schneider is makig me a 9-twist polygon barrel so it should be a tack-drivin-sumb***h /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif </font>

just got my 260 back the other day.
100_1276.jpg

Shoots like a dream here's the first (5) shots fired from 100yds.

100_1274.jpg

Surgeon Rifles are top notch!

Karl ,

You will be a happy man when all that comes together . The Surgeon rifles I picked up in OK recently are proving themselves with each new load develppment .

I am curious though . 4 to 6 weeks ? is that for a finished rifle ? or just the estimated lead time for the action . One other thing is the Schneider bbl , I love them as I have three and they shoot like ....well they shoot !! But that is not where I was going with the bbl thing , what I wondered is do you want to shoot the lighter bullet weights in your 243AI or the heavy bullets ( 105 to 115 grs. )

The reason I ask is the twist rate you mentioned , 9 was it ? I realize that you may be only wanting to use it out to 4 to 5oo yds . and not try to reach further .With the heavy bullets for caliber you can do good on game up to antelope size out to 700 without any problem . They are very accurate as well if you have set up your rig accordingly . I had mine ( 4 of them ) set up in a 7.5 twist . I think this will give me the opportunity to experiment with the excellent 6mm bullets that "Wildcat Bullets" of Canada is beginning to produce in the 120 gr weight range . I have shot many of Richard Graves bullets in other calibers tha t performed in a way that was astounding compared to other premium bullets .

Not trying to change the course of your decisions at all , just visiting with you about some things I have done / experienced with the 243 AI. Mostly just excited for you getting your new rifle . Makes me feel like a kid all over again when I put together a plan and have quality smiths build it and then shoot it ....................in the same hole ..........oover and over again . /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

<font color="blue">Jimm,

Thanks for the info.

4 to 6-weeks was the quoted estimated time for the action. The barrel twist was Gary's (Schneider) recommendation for the Berger 95gr Match VLD's I am planning on sending through the barrel – I like varmint &amp; predator shooting, as well as punching tiny holes in paper, and as I told Gary, I was thinking 600 yards would be about max. – I figure he knows what's best for his barrels so I deferred to his expertise on the twist.

I have a McMillan A2 on order (going to take a while to get since McMillan is so backed-up) and figure I'll go for a Jewell Trigger and a Gentry 3-position safety http://huntamerica.com/gentrycustom/mcart/index.cgi?code=3&amp;cat=2 (because I like firing pin safeties) and a Badger Ordinance Detachable Magazine Trigger guard depending on magazine legnth. I have a Ken Farrell base and rings on a 300WM so I'll probably go with the Farrell rings for this one but I am still up in the air on a Leupold Mark 4.

Now all I have to do is wait… It should be a good 300 to 400-yard prairie dog sniping rifle. :-D

Thanks,

Karl</font>

[ QUOTE ]
It should be a good 300 to 400-yard prairie dog sniping rifle.

[/ QUOTE ]

Karl, It will also be a good 5 to 600 yd antelope slayer /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Jim B.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.