Suggestions for varmint rifle project

huntem

Well folks it has been too long without the purchase of a new rifle of sorts. For a few years now, I have been kicking around the idea of a critter rifle. I purchase a sweet 700 in the .204 Ruger caliber in Feb. and it is an awesome rifle/grouper but beyond 350 it just does not have it.

So I first have to determine the caliber before I can go forward. I do not believe that I want a .224 caliber. Kicked around the 220 swift but it isn't jumping out as the caliber of choice.

I keep coming back to the 6.5x284 as a caliber that would cover give me the flexibility of critters to deer size animals. Thoughts

The rifle will have a barrel of a #7 contour or larger, very light jewell trigger on the Rem 700 action. I am leaning on the laminated stock because of the size of the barrel. The sight in distance will be at least 450 yards.

Buddy of mine keeps pushing the 240 Weatherby but between the cost of the brass, the shear overbore of the case/caliber, and the fact that I either start with a magnum action or a modified bolt w/ a sako extractor. Plus it a long action to boot. Besides, I want to be able to shoot several rounds before I melt the barrel.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

6/06 Ack Imp with a bit of free bore will do what ever the 240WBY will do at a cheaper brass price.I have one and it will absolutely make white tails do circus tricks!!!Smaller critters are not a problem... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

My first choice would be the 243Ai with a 1-8 twist , you can get Lapua brass and the barrel life is decient , shooting a 105 A-max bullet its a good 1000yd varmint gun and I woulden't hesitate shooting a mid sized deer say 200lbs out to 500yds with that setup.
second choice would be the 6mm-06 , not the Ackley version simple to aid in conserving barrel life by not having to shoot fireforming loads , again with a 1-8 twist , in either case I'd opt for either a Hart , Rock Creek or Broughton barrel so you'll have 5-6 lands and grooves which are not as hard on the thinner jacketed tatget and varmint bullets. Also the 6mm-06 you will be able to use Lapua brass which in my oppinion is the best out their.
You could also try the 6mm-284 which will balisticaly do the same thing as the 6mm-06 but it can be fitted in a short action but is beter suited in a long action and they have great brass for it but it is somtimes hard to come by due to the popularurity with BR shooters.

The 6.5-284 and 6.5-06 are both also great calibers and will offer a little better barrel life over the 6mm versions , the only problem I have with the 6.5 cals as a varmint gun is the available bullets for it , the 95gr V-max is a good one but I feel they should offer more varity ,but if you wanting to shoot deer out past 500-600yds then I would certianly recomend the 6.5's over the 6mm's. I know that deer have been killed alot farther than this with smaller guns but I personaly feel that guys are pushing their luck by doing so.

As for your stock , a McMillan , HS Precision are both good synthetics and will be a little lighter in some cases than a Laminated but Joel Russo has a some nice laminates hes turning out.

I'm going to buck the trend here and tell you to stay away from the hot rod 6mms. Go w/a 6BR or 6-250. Something that only burns about 30-40 gr of powder will increase bbl life and greatly increase the # of shots you can fire w/out over heating the bbl. You don't need that extra 200-400 fps. W/a 100 gr class VLD these little boomers are still lethal out to 1000yds.

I agree with Sniper2, you definitely need a 240 Wby. It will do everything a 6-06 will do and you don't need the freebore. Comes with a nice belted case, a sweet double radius shoulder and Norma brass.

Have your gunsmith build it minimum SAAMI and throated for the Sierra 115DTAC or Berger 115 VLD. Barrel should be about a 1-8 twist. Once you get that 115 grain bullet rolling down a 30 inch barrel with a dump truck load of powder behind it you will have something to smile about.

Throated for the 115gr bullets, you will have enough freebore for factory ammo I think. I haven't tried it yet but it appears that I have enough throat to ease up the pressure of a factory round. Plus I am up so high on pressure anyway that a factory round would be a relaxed load for me.

If you want a 6-06 I think Kirby has built a couple. If you want a 240Wby let me know and I will give you the name of two smiths who can buid you a quality gun as I described.

[ QUOTE ]

Once you get that 115 grain bullet rolling down a 30 inch barrel with a dump truck load of powder behind it you will have something to smile about.

[/ QUOTE ]

I fully understand the need for speed and powder dump trucks. However, I am not so sure that I want to deal with such a power house. I am leaning toward a caliber that will provide an above average performance (not at the level of beyond max), good BC, good barrel life, multiple shots without waiting 20 minutes for the barrel to cool.

I love shooting ground pigs with my 300 Ultra but over 100grs of powder isn't my idea of a varmint rifle.

[ QUOTE ]
I'm going to buck the trend here and tell you to stay away from the hot rod 6mms. Go w/a 6BR or 6-250. Something that only burns about 30-40 gr of powder will increase bbl life and greatly increase the # of shots you can fire w/out over heating the bbl. You don't need that extra 200-400 fps. W/a 100 gr class VLD these little boomers are still lethal out to 1000yds.

[/ QUOTE ]

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Get a 6BR or 6-250. You won't regret it!!! I'm getting right @ 3000 fps w/my 6-250 out of a 27" Broughton 5C bbl. I've got almost 600 rounds down the tube and I swear it shoots better everytime I take it out.

PS- I fired 25 rounds in about 1 hour yesterday morning and the bbl never did get hot!!!

why not just get a 243? not fancy enuf? some amazing bullets for the 6's. if u dont want a barn burner, then what would be the advantage of a wildcat cartridge that u have to do all the work for? the 243 kills deer just as well too.

the 87g vmax is pretty amazing in my 243 at 3300fps with 53g magpro(the barrel doesnt heat up as bad with 37g varget tho), and 55g blitzking at over 4000fps with 46g varget. and if u are hunting away somewhere and cant find ur ammo..... stop by any gun shop or walmart..... they have it.

but im not a pro here..... just my thots /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I would go with the 6x284. I am having one built specifically for long range varminting. The 6x284 will shoot the 87grn V-MAX with a BC of .400 at around 3750 to 3800 fps, and it will shoot the 75grn V-MAX at around 3900 to 4000fps. Go with the 6x284 if you want a wildcat varmint buster. However, if you don't want a wildcat, go with the 243.

I agree with the 243, I'm into the standard calibers. It's a great caliber and won't eat a barrel like the 284 based hotrods. It's a great Gap filler. I personally do not own one right now, I go from 223 straight to 308.

Buffalobob,

Yep, got reamers for pretty much all the 6mm wildcats including the 243 AI, 6-284, 6-06 and 6-06 AI.

From what I have seen, the 6-284 is a hair less then the 240 Wby. The 6-06 is basically the same critter in different skin and the 6-06 AI is about 100 fps more then the 240 given similiar barrel lengths and throat design.

All are great rounds. Once you get to the 6-284, you are much better off shooting bullets of at least 90 grains and better yet, 100 to 107 gr.

I will also have to back Bill up on his 6-250 recommendation. I have built alot of these rifles and they simply have about as much "fun" factor in them as you can get. The 6mm BR is in this same class.

Just really depends on what you want to do with the rifle I suppose.

Kirby Allen(50)

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.