suggestions for 30-06 round?

andym

Afternoon all,

I've been hunting with a Sharps 45-70 but moving over to a 30-06 bolt gun. I'm picking up a Savage 111 Trophy with the 3 x 9 Nikon. I'd appreciate any suggestions for factory loads for Elk and Mule Deer out to 400 meters.
Thanks,
Andy

I have never seen an Elk in my life but others seem to like the Hornady 165 Grain Interbond ammo . I think any controled expansion bullet around 160 to 180 grain in a 30-06 is going to be ok at reasonable ranges .
You also have to find an ammo brand your gun shoots accuartely and functions well with .
Try several different brands around that criteria and start with the most accurate one .

Afternoon all,

I've been hunting with a Sharps 45-70 but moving over to a 30-06 bolt gun. I'm picking up a Savage 111 Trophy with the 3 x 9 Nikon. I'd appreciate any suggestions for factory loads for Elk and Mule Deer out to 400 meters.
Thanks,
Andy

The Rem Cor-Loc or the Hornady bullets 150gr and up kill stuff dead. The 165gr in the 06 works well both on elk and mule deer. Great bullets for just shooting to the rifles point blank range. One of the best bulls I have ever taken was done with a 150gr factory loaded Rem Cor-Loc at 300 yards with the 30-06.

Whoever would think an '06 isn't enough gun for elk has their head on wrong haha. If loaded correctly or with good factory loads its definitely an elk killer out to 4-500yds. For factory shells I would shoot Hornady 180gr SSTs, BTSPs, or Interbonds (stronger bullet) for both deer and elk. When my Dad went out to Colorado for elk, he brought his .300 Weatherby but his .30-06 for backup with 180gr BTSPs and a range card out to 400 yds.

Thanks guys,
Seems like 180 to 200 gr. are suggested the most often. In the GMU's that I like to hunt there are plenty of chances for 400 to 500 meter shots. I've never had a 30-06 but like the availability and versatility of the round.
Andy

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.