Bullet suggestions for 30-378

gamedog

Any advice for stretching this caliber out some distance (600-1000 yards) for deer and Elk? I've been using 180 Barnes TSX's out of my 300 Wby with great performance, but am thinking maybe some VLD's or SMK for the 30-378. I'm checking with Richard @ Wildcat bullets on his best offerings. What do you guys recommend ? I'm learning to slow her down and get a good high BC bullet and higher weight. I think the TSX's are good to a point, but the higher BC bullets should perform better at farther distances.

What twist rate is your barrel?

240 SMK over US869 (probably around 106-109g max...?) unless you've got a barrel that will stabilize the 265 Wildcat.

I would try some 210gr Bergers , 208 A-mx's and 220gr Sierra Match Kings , all of these have pretty high BC's and are pretty long , you might have to single shot the rifle as most high BC bullets like to be seated out close to or in the lands and in a Weatherby with free bore that may not be possible. The first to are pretty fragile bullet so i would not recomend shooting anything bigger than deer with them , you may be able to get the 240gr Sierra Match King to shoot if so that would be an awsome bullet to take advantage of all that powder.

For shooting critters like big deer and elk the 200gr Accu-Bond is giving great results out of some other hot 30's

Try the 240gr MatchKings

Hi buy a box off 0 240gr Sierra MatchKings they should be awsome out off your cartrige iff they stabalise.

If not the others above are good options. The other option is the Wildcats Richard will be making all of his projectiles that are possible from Sierra Jackets soo so they should hold together well. As for the alloy tipped ones their is a 190gr being worked on but is a bit light the heavier ones wont stabalise but Richards older design ULD RBBT projectiles are worth a go.

Chers Bill
Australia

The 200 Accubond is probably a good bet for a hunting 30-378.

Inside 500 yds it is probably the only one that will leave edible meat.

I'm doing right at 3000fps with 104.5g US869 in a factory 300RUM 26" 1-10 twist barrel. At these speeds this twist will stabilize this bullet fine out to about 1500yds--that's what folks on this site are finding. Just poked an elk at 450 with it last week--between ribs on way in and broke a rib on the way out before going through the heart. Put another in it in the predawn darkness to make sure though as it didn't go down immediately. I think anything weight 240g and going that fast is going to make an impression. I'm getting up to 5-6 firings. This is a cool weather load. US869 is temp sensitive and probably not a bad idea run your load over the chrono at various temps to see how it shoots and if it still shoots OK, adjust the fps Exbal given the temp at time of firing. Just a few ideas... Hope this helps. Jon

I just purchased a 30-378 Accumark a few weeks ago. So far I've tested 180 accubonds and 200 SMK's. I've also tryed H50BMG, RL22, H4831SC, & H1000.

My rifle loved the 200 SMK over 117 gr of H50BMG. .3" group at 100 yards. I hope to crono them next week.

I've also heard some very good things about the 210 berger bullets.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts