Sucessfull Moose assasination. Pix here!!!!

Michael Eichele

The rifle range, or archery range or behind the co
Well after a long and grueling 4 days I am home from my moose hunt. This bull was a bull I had never seen before and found him in the middle of my stalk on "Mack" the big bull in the previous topic. When I saw him I decided that he was one of the prettiest bulls I have seen and decided to let the air out of him. Mack is safe for now. Mack is a 60" bull. With a 61" bull already on the wall I went for pretty over bigger. The shot was 650 yards. After setting up for 650 the bull moved to 672. I crawled forward 22 yards and got the rifle in place. After the shot it seemed forever to hear the confirmation of a solid hit. He moved up only a couple yards and another round was on its way. A second after the 2nd bullet hit he went down. My buddies that were watching through their optics said when the first bullet hit that his whole body shook. The bullet was a 200 grain ACCUBOND @ 3146 FPS. This herd of bulls is a herd I have been watching for 3 seasons now. The thought of packing one of these bulls out was VERY intimidating. This is why there are so many big bulls there. A semi nearby air strip up hill from these bulls made it possible to get my trophy. Still not easy but possible. This bull is 55" wide with 14 points on each side. 3x4 brow tines in full velvet with some white patches. An all around nice looking bull.

317337.jpg

317340.jpg

317339.jpg

Great looking bull. I'm surprised at how open the country is there are you above tree line? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Thanks!

Yes, these bulls live above the main tree line and in the last little patches of alders that exist in the high country. Due to the fact that its close to main population, big bulls in the Matanuska Valley live high up and far into big drainages to avoid getting shot because most guys dont want to pack em that far and up and down mountains and hills. This bull was taken above 3000'. Around here thats above the timber.

Beautiful! Not bad at all. Congratulations!

So tell us, what was the greater pleasure, all the work, preparation, and anticipation of the hunt or the actual taking of the animal and the work that followed?

The greatest pleasure was harvesting this critter and the HARD work that followed. My freezer is now well stocked! After watching these bulls for 3 seasons you can imagine the anticipation of getting in there by opening morning this season. This is only my 2nd opening day success on big game. This was the only time in my life I was able to say my hunt plan was air tight. I knew without fail I would harvest one of these bulls this weekend. The only thing that would have stopped me was a major accident or fog. Either of those happen and there is always next week. This week or next, I was bound and determind to get one of these bulls that I have so eagerly viewed from afar for so long.

Great looking bull!!! Lots of points and very symmetrical. Don't you just love it when a plan comes together? They didn't stand a chance, and like you said, it was either going to be now or next week but there was no doubt about the outcome.

Congrats on the nice shooting at a pretty long range. Do you know where the hits were? Sounds like both of them were where they should have been. Also did you by any chance recover either of the bullets?

CONGRADULATIONS! I'm literaly 'green' with envy. I leave for an annual elk bow hunt to Colorado in about 10 days but it pales in comparison to this. Hope to one day make it there to hunt the big bear. Thanks for sharing your hunt.

awsome bull, I know the feeling of intimidating, I hauled out my alaskan moose by myself. What a bitch that was.
CONGRATS if you need a hunting buddy let me know, I'm always up for a new hunt

ss7mm,

The hits were through the shoulders. No bullets were recoverd. I was hoping to retrieve a bullet to see what they looked like but they smoked right on through. I guess thats what should be expected from a controlled expansion bullet that measures a full 1.5" at near 3150 FPS to start.

Okie,

Good luck on your elk hunt. I also have an archery elk hunt coming up next month.

BBH,

Where did you get your bull??

meichele,
Congratulations on a beautiful animal.
I just wanted to see a little more detail in the shadows and I decided to share what I did. I hope is OK with you.
Good Hunting!
b3rebb.jpg

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.