Successful elk hunt for AJ Peacock and Bravo 4

AJ,

That bullet hole gives it character!

33dxume.gif

Great story, thanks for sharing.
Hmmmm, couple a five hour hikes to the ATV with the elk meat. No doubt about it, Marc hit em first.:)
Congrats
Phil

Great story, thanks for sharing.
Hmmmm, couple a five hour hikes to the ATV with the elk meat. No doubt about it, Marc hit em first.:)
Congrats
Phil

Don't misunderstand, I was right there with him for those hikes. But since he's a little younger and 'hit him first', his pack was a little heavier. I am sure I enjoyed the meat hauling more than Marc did, since it took me longer to get up the hill ! :rolleyes:

AJ

Oh come on Don, don't sell yourself short. That hike is a kick in the balls no matter how good of shape you're in.
Add on 50lbs for your crew served weapon and shells that weigh 2lbs a piece...you couldn't ask for a better pack mule, unless we could have talked Scott into bringing out his mules.:D....I tried!

Don't misunderstand, I was right there with him for those hikes. But since he's a little younger and 'hit him first', his pack was a little heavier. I am sure I enjoyed the meat hauling more than Marc did, since it took me longer to get up the hill ! :rolleyes:

AJ
I don't misunderstand, just a bit of humor.
I'm sure you did enjoy it more, I would still be there "enjoying it".
I'm thoroughly spoiled rotten, after the shot and dressing out all I do is take pics and stay outta the way.:)
Phil

Oh come on Don, don't sell yourself short. That hike is a kick in the balls no matter how good of shape you're in.
Add on 50lbs for your crew served weapon and shells that weigh 2lbs a piece...you couldn't ask for a better pack mule, unless we could have talked Scott into bringing out his mules.:D....I tried!

HaHa, I don't mind having a crew served weapon, the lack of crew makes it feel a bit heavy after 3-4 miles of uphill/downhill at nearly 10,000' altitude!

AJ

That shot in the antler would have knocked the bull down. He probably got up and got away while the shooter was celebrating. It pays to stay focused on your animal for awhile after it goes down and make sure it stays down. Good job guys nice elk.

Don and Marc, glad you guys enjoyed yourselves. Marc, I told Don if you guys put down a 7x7 I'd load the mules up and head your way, but shoot anything smaller and you're on your own....thats what I call the incentive plan. Both you guys need to plan on hunting 4th season next year when I go, because those mules sure make fast work out of hauling out an elk. Bet both of you guys can now relate to why other friends of mine I've taken to that spot have nicknamed that little hill "the man killer". ;^)

Seriously though, both you guys have an open invitation to come back and hunt with the wife and I. If you'd like to make it a yearly thing or whenever you can manage to work it in, you're both welcome to share our camp. Just figure we always hunt that last rifle season cause we always have snow, way less hunting pressure, and we'll always have mules along to pack out the elk and pack in those heavy rifles we all like.

It looks like you had some of the same snow we had. Congratulations on a nice elk and a good hunt.

It is good to remember the guys who don't make it home. Tomorrow is Veterans Day which is not nearly as important as Memorial Day.

Congrats. Isn't it amazing what those elk can take and not react? My bull took 3 hits with virtually no reaction. Even on the 4th hit he simply walked behind a tree and stood there until he fell over. They are tough critters.

Great shooting, great story!

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.