sub or super sonic?

A Papworth

I have been using the .22 rimfire for the past 20 odd years for rabbits and other things but have recently put a Super Sniper 10x40 scope onto my Sako finfire and worked up a balistics chart for adjustments. Well, when using a lazer rangefinder it's as though I've found a new rifle, those rabbits at 110 metres never realise how vunerable they are! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Due to the way that we have used rf's in the past for night shooting or close stalking the sub sonic ammo has been king. Quiet report, accurate, hard hitting 40 gr. bullet (relatively to other rf ammo) and less wind drift than the faster rounds (but still loads by comparison the a cf round). I've tested this Eley ammo out to 100 metres on a target and found that it will easily return a 1.5 moa group in return for good shooting and don't really feel that that this can be improved on by many degrees.

I notice that most of you guys seem to use or mention super sonic ammo. Considering all that is written about the turbulance problems of bullets coming back though the sound barrier, I am wondering if anyone has any observations of rf bullets being affected, since my calculations show this to be in the 70 to 80 metre mark for high velocity ammo?

Which ammo speed is used the most for long range work?

Thanks for any input

Pappers

when I first started shooting smallbore rifle the leading theory was
50 ft subsonic
50yds supersonic
100yds subsonic

These days, the preferance is pretty much subsonic for all, mainly for ths issues you outlined. Additionaly, supersonic will have more winddrift at 100 in the same crosswind than subsonic.
I shoot 5 types of rimfire ammo from 3 rifles at "rimfire LR"
my position rifle gets shot to 200, with wolf match subsonic, with a BC of .115 calculated poi is within a moa using this BC

My critter getter gets shot to 100-150 when the need arrises, with federal subsonic, also with a BC of .115

My LR rimfire occasionally gets shot as far as 400 with either Wolf match gold (subsonic) agila subsonic sniper, or PMC scoremaster. The 40gr bullets also get calculated with a BC of .115, the 60 with a .150. These work pretty well out to 300ish, but beyond that my calcs are occasionally off by 3-4moa even after feeding the program current atmospherics... But thats something you just have to accept if you are an idiot like me thinks flinging rimfire bullets a quarter mile is a good time.
Theres my .02

abinok, I was thinking of putting together a rifle specificaly for the aguila 60 grain loading. What barrel twist are you using for this one?

Brownells sells a 1-9 twist specificaly for that round. Fits a ruger 10-22.

ive got 2 that will stabalize it.
1 is a rem 597 with the stock 1:16
the other is an old mossberg 144, also a 1:16
ive got other 1:16 rifles that won't stabalize it, so I guess sometimes you get lucky.
I was wondering about these barrels, so I did the old cleaning rod method, and yep, 1:16
A friend has a supressed 10-22 with a fast twist barrel, and it shoots pretty well... of course for what it $ it better!!!

Thanks Abinok

You've got me thinking now, I've spent all these years shooting hollow point hunting ammo for safety and ethical reasons. I've never tried using target ammo other than when you have real problems with a rifle and shoot some to find out where the problem lies.

Think I'll go to the gun shop tomorrow and get a box of various target ammos to try.

Incidentally, how often do other shooters clean their .22rf barrels as mine has only been cleaned about every 50 years, if it really looks dirty! I don't like the feeling of the rod pushing past the throat of the chamber. There is no way of using a bore guide on these is there?

Pappers

in terms of hollow point vs solids... ive always thought of it in terms of scale.
I think everybody would agree that a bullet from a 308 would be a bad thing to catch with your body. assuming you are 5ft, 10 inches tall, that would mean the bullet is 1:227 of your size.
Likewise, a squirrel would be unhappy to catch a 22Rf bullet. Assuming that critter is 8 inches tall that would be 1:35 of its size.
In terms of scale, that would be like you being shot with a 1.96 inch bullet... almost 50mm.
Do you think you could tell the differance a solid, or a hollow point if you got hit with a 50mm, almost 2 inch diameter bullet?
I don't think so either.

also, ill bet there is a boreguide that will fit, but it may take a bit of looking to find it.

Abonik
I've just tried some target ammo at 100 mtrs to compare the difference in accuracy and it's quite fantastic. Whilst the club standard of ammo was around 20% more accurate than the hunting subsonics that I use, the expensive premium grade Eley Match was 65% better. A little too expensive for general shooting at £8($16) for 50 but good for special occasions.

As for using solids for hunting I was not being judgemental on their use, but merely that having grown up on this crowded island as I have, it is pressed by many that hollow points will deform more and disipate their energy quicker than solids. Though I'm sure the difference must be minimal.

Thanks for your help.

Anybody got any comments on cleaning regimes for .22s please.

I am very happy with Eley high velocity hollow points,blue and black box if I recall.Shooting out of a HV barrel Marlin.
125yds concistant hits easily of a bypod.

Eley subs, I have a man come from Finland, his idea of heaven is shooting rabbits at 100+ yards off of sticks, he loves it. I have only shot Eley for years.

John

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.