Savage B.Mag 17 Winchester Super Mag Teardown

Nice mods, which suppressor do you have mounted and has the vel changed with the shorter barrel?

That's a TBAC 223P-2 screwed on the end. I also have a TBAC 22L-1 but per TBAC it's not rated for the WSM so I'm not supposed to use that can on this rifle. ;)

I didn't chronograph it before I had it shortened up to 20 inches so I don't have anything to compare it to but I did chronograph it with my Magnetospeed a few months ago and it averaged 2984 FPS, the ES 25 and SD 13. That was with American Eagle 20 grainers.

I have the Ruger and I like it! But, I didn't like the stock that much so I have ordered a stock from MPI stocks in Oregon. I talked a long time with Miss Lisa and she walked me through several of their stock possibilities. We finalized it and they are now completing the build. I am blown away at the speed it will come back to me and the help I got to get the right one! Not many companies for replacement stocks for this Ruger, but MPI makes a fine one. I'm sure they can do it for Savages.
Now, as for ammo, my Ruger has a preference for the Federal American Eagle 20 grain. When I first shot a 17WSM, we shot the Winchester. Gave several misfires which, when put back in the rifle went bang. I also found this to happen (not as often) with my Ruger. Never had one with Am.Eagles. And , Natchez runs it for $13.99 a box!
About the trigger on the Ruger; it sucks! But, is easily fixable. It comes apart and back together without having to be a master gunsmith. What it needs is polishing, and a lot! Mine now breaks very, very cleanly at 2 pounds. It was about 6!
Love the cartridge! It will reach way out there...

There has been lots of info posted on the B-mag, along with several fix's,
here is just one of the posts,

Rebarreled B-Mag - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Along with this info I found when measuring the ammo,

Ruger 17 WSM - RimfireCentral.com Forums

I am of the firm belief that the SAMMI spec's and reamer dimensions,
are creating lots of problems, from the measuring the ammo etc,
and the sloppy way the B-mag bbl is chambered and attached to the action etc.

I have a new custom reamer ground to fit the ammo,
and have been testing the results etc,
results will be posted on the rimfire site.

Might be worth reading all the posts on the 17 WSM.

Tia,
Don

I will look forward to reading the results ! Please give us the web address, if not here.
Just got back from a prairie dog shoot in S.D. where I had so much fun with the 17WSM! I also just whacked a ground hog here in Va. and it was spectacular! Not a long shot, but off hand. Hit right between the eyes and he was D_R_T !

around here we have snowshoe hare and I have found that with my scope on it can be quite the challenge getting them out in the open. But once they venture out of the brush the 20grn pills just destroy them. if meat is your game then around here the 17wsm is over power. But what fun. There is no doubt if it is a hit or miss, parts just spread out. I must practice more on head shots.
BTW, my bmag is from cabelas, with the cabelas 3x9 scope with the 20 and 25 grn turrits. I was not expecting match accuracy and I am quite happy with it. 1+" groups at 100 and 2.5" at 175 yards with the odd high flyer that I blame on the ammo. After all you really don't expect me to take the blame?

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.