sub moa accuracy of plain factory rifles stock

No you have to have $5000 in the rifle with a hundredth of an ounce trigger and a $3000 optic , you will also need Bob lee Swagger to do them custom turned lathe bullets that he speaks of too. There is no way a guy could take a $700 or less rifle combo and go shoot 1.5 inch groups @460 yds no way man it just cant be done EVER. LOL . I have personally witnessed a 770 Remington shoot a ten shot group under the size of a dime . 3 rounds in a slightly oval hole @100yds. with nothing special hand loads Winchester brass and rcbs dies . no batch sorting neck turning etc . now at longer ranges that could be a different story but who wants to walk all that ways to their kill shot . it takes a good shooter to make any rifle a good shooting rifle period .gun)
I still say a 770 is a pile of crap though scooter

I guess it's possible a good shooting lemon 710/770 could slip through the cracks. LOL

As a huge 700 fan, I don't like the 710/770 rifles. The last ones I shot for friends (sighting in) were lucky to shoot baseball sized groups at 100.

Ok, over the years I have bought alot of savages remington and howas in bolt action. I have loaded them with the rite combo and always got submoa groups no problem shot them just as good as a 5000 dollar rig. I know people dont like to hear it but its true granted a 5000 dollar rig is easier to take shooter error out of the equation I admit, but if you do everyrhing the same on the way you hold rifle pressure and you hold the rifle with its sweet load they all have shot sub moa easily for me. Anybody have same results? Granted i think 5000 dollar rig equals way more solid platform to deal with.

I apologize, I must have missed his question amidst the paragraph long sentence.

Someone has been drinking Haterade®. What's wrong with someone asking a question about factory vs. Custom I don't see what your fussing about.
So your saying because he has less than ten post he should stop asking questions and just read.
I used to act like you... then I stopped drinking....

Haterade® .

I liked you better when you drank ;)

Also im not comparing rifles to rifles here im comparing groups on paper also the 770 is completely made like junk cause it is. But it was one of the rifles I used on paper which shot as good as the other factory rifles granted I the shooter kept everything the same on the internal ballistics part of the equation which is alot harder with a stock gun, do to the horrible triggers and flimsey stocks but they are capable and you who say compare my factory gun to a custom rig you ever thought that maybe I 2 the manny guns I own also have one just saying, some of you guys need to not get so bent out of shape so easy.

Like was said if I plunked down 5k and it only shoot inch groups id be furious. Ive had a couple 1/2moa factory guns through the years but there rare and usually only did it after a lot of load searching to make them shake just right:D

I agree with you alot easier with a custom rig this is about what you can get out of factory rifles I dont believe that saying that you just got a shooter because ive done this with alot of rifles some in the same model in duplicates but the window will be less on harmonising the bell just rite with some of those thin walled barrels on your load work ups.

But there is the rare ocasion in a factory gun that it is subpar but I havent gotten one yet in a bolt in savage winchester howa or the vangaurd or remys with multiples of said models that cant have there sweet spots found in load development and be applied on paper in oblong bullet hole group under .5 moa. This process with be considerably easier of a window with a solid platformed target rifle.

Accuracy starts in the loading room. As for your particular (cust or factory) rifle it is a crap shoot and you do what you can to stack the odds in your favor. The most favorable choice is full custom by a competent smith, esp one who load develops for the customer. I'd say anyone going this route is going to be near or at 100% satisfied. Your odds of ending up w/ a lemon increase as you gravitate away from the custom shop. Leaving you with the worst odds at the lower tiered rifles. When your equipment is only capable of 1/2moa and you want 1/4moa... maybe you should opened your wallet a little more.

Of course on any given day your buddy shooting the savage axis might out shoot your tac-ops rifle but those days are far and few at best. It's like anything else in life, you want the odds in your favor. When you are on a hunt of a lifetime do you reach in your safe and grab your worst beater budget gun? Doubtful.

You will see differences like this everywhere and usually, not always, the one who's passion is illustrated in their equipment prevails. I've also seen guys who think if they spend more $ the less they have to do as an operator, you just have to laugh at those guys.

Accuracy starts in the loading room. As for your particular (cust or factory) rifle it is a crap shoot and you do what you can to stack the odds in your favor. The most favorable choice is full custom by a competent smith, esp one who load develops for the customer. I'd say anyone going this route is going to be near or at 100% satisfied. Your odds of ending up w/ a lemon increase as you gravitate away from the custom shop. Leaving you with the worst odds at the lower tiered rifles. When your equipment is only capable of 1/2moa and you want 1/4moa... maybe you should opened your wallet a little more.

Of course on any given day your buddy shooting the savage axis might out shoot your tac-ops rifle but those days are far and few at best. It's like anything else in life, you want the odds in your favor. When you are on a hunt of a lifetime do you reach in your safe and grab your worst beater budget gun? Doubtful.

You will see differences like this everywhere and usually, not always, the one who's passion is illustrated in their equipment prevails. I've also seen guys who think if they spend more $ the less they have to do as an operator, you just have to laugh at those guys.

I'm glad you mentioned this... Because while most of my rifles are semi-customs, I feel the same way about people who spend $5,000 on a rifle, $3,000 on a scope, and $500 on a set of rings and a base, $300 on a bipod, and then still can't shoot properly, because they thought their rifle was going to do all the work for them. LOL

Even with all my years of pulling triggers, I still don't feel my skill level is good enough for me, personally, to justify spending enough money on ONE rifle, that I could buy a nice used 4x4 truck for...

I like guns and calibers too much to put all my eggs into one basket. If I hit the lottery, I might order a few full-customs, and slap NF scopes on all my current rifles, but I still can't justify it on my current salary.

I had a factory barreled rifle that shot a .479" and one that shoots .557" right now.

I'm having a 6.5-06AI built right now and I hope to see .250" groups out of it.

I also recently picked up a 2 month old rem 700 sps 300 win mag from a buddy who claims it wouldn't shoot anything he put thru it. I took it as a challenge, I'm gunna give it hell trying to get it to shoot. If not I'll just send it to my 'smith and have a new barrel put on it in 7mmRUM and not look back.

"Bolt" guns are like cookies... You can buy Archway(cheaper Stevens/marlin/moss erg), Oreos(Remington 700/ win70's etc), Girlscout thin mints(Cooper et. all) and then there's Mama's or gramma's homemade( full on custom rig). Thing is they all taste good to me.. That said, I have had great luck with 'some' factory rigs that shot in the 1's and 2's with the right load. But some didn't do better than 1moa ballpark. I think custom jobs are more about "fit n finish" for the buyer/shooter than just accuracy. I've seen 5k custom rigs shoot some loads poorly but the right loads perfectly.

But there is the rare ocasion in a factory gun that it is subpar but I havent gotten one yet in a bolt in savage winchester howa or the vangaurd or remys with multiples of said models that cant have there sweet spots found in load development and be applied on paper in oblong bullet hole group under .5 moa. This process with be considerably easier of a window with a solid platformed target rifle.

One of my favorite factory rifle videos ...

and

Last edited by a moderator:

Recent Posts