Straight 284 win and Shehane

JJMoody

lots of guys talking about that magical 7 mm that runs a 180 class bullet at or around 3000 FPS. The LRM was great but brass sucked, this or that requires this or that..... yadda yadda. While perusing another site, I started reading up on the straight 284 win and the Shehane. Seems like this cartridge gets overlooked a lot! Modern powders, lapua brass (necked up 6.5-284) great components should make this one really shine. Standard bolt face, long action, 7 rem mag-ish performance... what am I missing here? Could be that this round has been staring us in the face for so long it's been forgotten. Pretty efficient looking cartridge(s). Seriously, what am I missing??!! 280 ai is sexy? Why not a 284? Full disclosure note- I'm just thinking out loud and have done almost no real research... but seriously..., what am I missing?

https://www.6mmbr.com/gunweek095.html

I built a 22" 284 heavy barrel a while back and really liked it with 168s. I have not built a shehane, but both have been tops in 1000 yard fo a long time. 284 set some records with 180 bergers. Great cartridge. With extended wyatt or tikka, great for feeding too.

They are great for what they are but 3k is not going to happen with a 180 and the normal powders. The accuracy node seems to be 2800-2850 and that is with a LOOOOONG barrel. Maybe with some of the newer powders RL23 or RL26? I think the SAUM or one of Rich's wildcats would be better.

Rfurman24, I agree that the SAUM and rich's Designs are probably better, the Shehane with its slightly blown out body taper does get some more capacity and should get up around the 300 mark with the right powder and a reasonable barrel length.
Edit: above statement should read as a question not statement.

Last edited:
Why do we need 3k, guys? World records were set with a 180 out of a 284 at 1000yds and that is still a bunch of energy (guessing 700+ without running numbers)

the 284 win is one of those overlooked cartridges. been shooting mine for years with a 25 inch 9 twist the 160 class will make 2950+ pretty easy but the 180 class even with a full case of rl-26 will start trashing brass pretty quick once you start getting near 2900 fps. the 284 really needs a mid length or long action

I would not waste my money trying. I have seen 2950 with 32"s and RL17 which is very temp sensitive. The go to powders are H4350 and H4831sc which will get the speeds I listed with a 32". Figure 20-25fps per inch. That would give you 2700 fps in a 26". Just guessing, if it would even work, RL23 or RL26 may be good for 100fps. So 2800 is what I would bet in a 26". I seriously doubt you are going to get 3k in a 26" barrel with ANY powder. The SAUM/improved have more capacity and they are going to struggle to get there. It is your money and I would be interested in your results. The SAUM and WSM cases are better.

My idea behind this particular rabbit trail was as follows:
"Hey, shiny new tikka CTR 308! I should but that.... now what am I going to do with this thing?"
I now have this neat little rifle and am trying to convince myself to just be happy and shoot it, get good with it as a trainer rig of sorts. I have a couple big 7 s I hunt with (28nos- full carbon fiber build and a new to me QMM7mag that's a freaking tank both of which make me look way better than I am).
I spend way too much time looking at stuff on here and other sites, so now I get an itch to build something on the tikka action. STD bolt face, medium ish length action etc... been bouncing around from 6.5-284 to 6 Dasher and everything else around that. Now, in my perusing, I start looking at a straight 284 and the improved variants....

Why do we need 3k, guys? World records were set with a 180 out of a 284 at 1000yds and that is still a bunch of energy (guessing 700+ without running numbers)

Most winning combos are using faster powders that yield less speed but hold better vertical. Just looking at that I would agree. The problem is the wind is what gets us. While it is still typically the deciding factor in 1k competitions the fact is they get to use wind flags and sighters. As hunters we obviously can not. We have to balance bc, velocity, and accuracy. With most of the cartridges we shoot and the slower powders we simply can not hold the vertical comp guys do but we pick up some advantage in the wind.

"Hey, shiny new tikka CTR 308! I should but that.... now what am I going to do with this thing?"
I now have this neat little rifle and am trying to convince myself to just be happy and shoot it, get good with it as a trainer rig of sorts. I have a couple big 7 s I hunt with (28nos- full carbon fiber build and a new to me QMM7mag that's a freaking tank both of which make me look way better than I am).
I spend way too much time looking at stuff on here and other sites, so now I get an itch to build something on the tikka action. STD bolt face, medium ish length action etc... been bouncing around from 6.5-284 to 6 Dasher and everything else around that. Now, in my perusing, I start looking at a straight 284 and the improved variants....
That is all you needed to say. I think it is time for you to build a 284 Shehane. LOL!

You do know the WBY 6.5 RPM is a stretched 284? It may be worth the wait. It really is too long for a Tikka if you seat a bullet properly(not SAAMI) but it will have more capacity none the less.

the 30-284 has been on my radar for sometime now.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.