6.5-284 Shehane info request

jdokie

I am a new member to this web sight and forum, but it sure looks like I am at the right place! I am sure this has been asked and answered many times, but bear with me please as I am new to this end of the shooting sports. My question is, can anyone tell me about the 6.5-284 Shehane? I am planning a "multi-purpose" rifle, and can get use of a reamer (free from my father-in-law). I already have a Rem. 700 long ('06)action, and have ordered a McMillan stock (HGP). The barrel I am considering is a Hart 26" with a 1 in 9 twist. I want to be able to shoot 140 gr. bullets at deer sized game, but would like to do some varmints in with ligher bullet. Will this twist rate work(if so for what gr. range), or should I go with something else? Also, what about the Shehane modification, how is the temperment of the round (ie. accuracy, velocity, case life, barrel life, etc.)? Any information will be greatfully appreciated!

Couple things to consider.

go to benchrestcentral and ask about the shehane 284. Bill Shehane is always on there. I think you will find it is an improved 6.5-284 of his design. Look at the entry page onto BR central, look under cleaning supplies and then click on DB supply, that is Bills company. You can email him direct. He can give the most accurate info this case of anyone.

With only a 26" barrel you are not going to be able to really utilize the extra powder capacity of the improved 284. Why limit it to 26"? Most reamers made for this are probably going to be tight neck which requires neck turning. If this is strictly hunting gun do you want this? What is neck on reamer, .290? That is common size for tight neck 6.5s.

In the 6.5's shooting 140-147 gr bullets you really need the 1-8 twist, which would be your best deer hunting weights. Go to Dan Liljas website and he has a chart on bullet weights and twists and see what he recommends. Think you will find that it is right on.

Most regular 6.5-284s with 28-30" barrels are getting 2950-3000 fps so expect about 50-100 less with 26" barrel.

More powder you use equals more throat erosion normally. Dan Lilja is making 3 groove barrels and he states that they give about 20% more barrel life, particularily in the hotter cases.

Good Luck

Bh

I tried to go to benchrestcentral, but ran into problems. As for the specs on the ream, It will be a few days before I get a chance to talk with my father-in-law to ask. I will try the web address again later. Hopefully it is just down or being worked on, but it could just be me!

James,
Shoot with Bill all the time. I do believe his neck is .290" and the reamer was spec'd for Norma brass for case head size. Remember the winchester 284 brass is different than the Norma/Hornady/Lapua stuff. It's a 6.5-284 Ackley to put it in perspective. But the shoulder isn't 40 degrees I don't beleive. It's easy to load for as is any of the med 6.5 case capacity cases are.

Bills web site:
D & B Supply Web Page

And BR Central's web site is:
BR Central Web Page

I agree with BountyHunter on the 26" barrel. You might want to reconsider that unless you feel it is just to long for your type of hunting. If so I would select a different chambering then.

Steve

im just thinkinglightbulb have you ever considered the 6.5 gibbs because it is (to my uderstanding) easily made from .270 winchester brass and as far as velocity it gets 3230 fps using a 140 gr sierra SPBT 28 inch barrel 62 grs allaint reloader 22gun) AWESOME!!!! right?

Steve Shelp!

I used to know a guy named Steve Shelp. I wonder if it's the same one? :)

I think your direction depends on how much complexity, and/or maximum range you desire. Being new to this sport, there will be a lot of factors to master to become proficient. I have two 6.5x284's that I use for deer sized game and varmints. A Cooper 52 and a Savage LRH. Both have 26"barrels with 1:8 twist and generate 2970 fps with 140 VLD's. If you happen to take close range shots on deer, this velocity will give excellent bullet performance, even at 50 yards. Both rifles get optimum velocity and accuracy with Retumbo. Very easy to deveop an effective load with off the shelf Lapua brass. Never had the need to go to lighter bullets for varmints. Also keeps things simple as to ballistics. These rigs are good to 1000 yards on deer, more for varmints. Plenty of energy and accuracy to flatten a deer or hit a ground hog. Would recommend a 1:8 twist whatever you choose. Good luck.

Who's doing the work? Does your father-in-law also have the lathe?

Free use of a reamer shouldn't be a huge factor in the long term cost of building/shooting a rifle unless you're just trying to slap something together yourself. If it is, then you probably don't shoot enough to warrant a wildcat unless you just want to.

Ask about dies also. I'm not sure if they're readily available or if folks are simply fireforming and neck sizing.

No doubt it's a great cartridge for the right application.

I have a 6.5x284 hunting rifle I built with a 25" 1:8 twist Kreiger barrel. That's not optimal either by any stretch. But, it runs about 2900 fps with 50.5g of h4831sc and 142smks or 140 Bergers. It's a solid .5 MOA shooter with minimal effort.

Barrel life depends a lot on what you consider acceptable accuracy.

-- richard

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.