Stove pipe straight up or out the side?

davewilson

I want to get a tent and stove for hunting off the beatin path. i'm getting a tipi tent and most seem to have the stove pipe going straight up the middle. have seen a few where they go out the side. this seems to be a way to guard against embers falling down onto your tent and not having something in the middle you have to really make sure you don't bang into. i realize you'd be giving up heating potential but since i don't have much experience with this i'd like to hear thoughts on what you think is the way to go and why. thanks in advance!

iMO, it's all relative to the size of your tipi. Unlike a straight wall tent, you can't get a stove as close to the tent wall in a tipi (the wall angle means you have to move it further out toward center) so you lose more floor space than you would with the same stove in a straight wall tent. I'd opt for smaller stove in the center of the tipi (it doen't take much to heat a tent) and make sure the stove pipe is long enough so that the spark arrestor allows air flow to carry any minor sparks away from the tent walls. If there are live embers coming out of your chimney that are heavy enough to fall down on the tent there's something wrong with the way the stove is being managed.

i take it your vote is for a center pipe setup? lol the tent i'm leaning towards getting has 2 ft str walls, not a true tipi. i'm leaning towards running it out the side, just more, safer room inside

Vertical flue pipes draft better than horizontal, so they are more efficient.

Use of a spark/ember arrestor is also recommended for fire prevention In the woods.

If you do go with a horizontal pipe out the Tipi, Once outside install a short piece of vertical pipe.

Just My recommendation

J E CUSTOM

... lol the tent i'm leaning towards getting has 2 ft str walls, not a true tipi. ...

Well I guess it might have made a difference if we had all the information in the first post. Nevertheless, two feet of straight wall isn't much of an advantage unless you have a smsll stove that rests squarely on the ground. Given the new information, J E Custom offered the advice I'd endorse.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.