high altitude stove

I have used the Jetboil now for about five years and love it. I have used it with temps below zero and at altitudes of 11,000 feet. It is by far the most efficient stoves I have ever used; very easy of fuel.

Another vote for Jet Boil. I used mine several times last fall to boil water for lunch during Colorado 2nd rifle. 11,000 to 11,700 ft elevation. Temps in the teens to low twenties. Only issue I have is the piezo igniter. I have a hard time lighting it even in my kitchen. Always take a lighter in my pocket for the stove. Carry it in my day pack. No pre-warming the cannister. No issues.

I tend to hunt solo. Even tho I am only day packing, a warm meal and a hot cup of coffee makes for a pleasant attitude boost in the middle of the day....

I've used my Jet Boil for the past two hunting seasons. This past year was the real test. Our elk camp was pitched almost 10K feet and my JB stove was unaffected when used in temps in the low teens. In fact, i left it out in the cold all night on one occasion and was sure it would not light the next morning, but it worked just fine. The Jet Boil is a fine stove and is very efficient.

For reliability and convenience when packing you can't go wrong with a home made alcohol stove. I use heat can find it at any auto parts store 2 oz will burn around 15 mins. The one I made is out of aluminum Budweiser bottle and I love it, carried both my msr and home made for years but the only one I take anymore is my home made job

+1 omni-fuel..

Ok, I'm going to put my 2c in, even though its late for this thread, but I was just using an OmniFuel stove made by Primus a few days ago in 35 deg.. This thing is a multi-fuel stove, can use butane/propane gas, or liquid fuel(white gas), or even diesel/petro and gasoline. It is a backpacking stove, is very light and compact. Some guys on here have said they have no problems using gas/butane fuel in cold conditions, but from what I've read the gas fuel has trouble burning efficiently when you get down into the 25 degrees area and colder. You would need to carry the gas canister near your body in super cold conditions and shake it prior to use. (I can't attest to use in high alt though sorry). The gas canisters work best, you just make the connections open the valve and poof, your gtg.
[FONT=&quot]The liquid fuel is a great all-time fuel, but really accommodates in the colder temps (such as far below freezing), BUT you have to prime the burner to get it hot enough to get it torched up.. you also have to carry a fuel bottle which comes in .35 or .6 or 1.0 Liter bottles, which still are no big deals.., I used the .6 L and is still pretty compact. The system is EXTREMELY versatile and WORKS GREAT in all conditions, even in windy conditions. The omni fuel in my opinion is just an all-round great system. The jet on this thing is great , I just don't see a huge downside to this system, I'm sure there are others that are very good, but this thing is built like a tank, yet light and compact. I would recommend to ANYONE ! anyways that's just my 2cent review. [/FONT]

I buoght a msr xgk in 1979 in alaska the stove is still running strong its needed a couple of o rings over the last 30 years but thats an easy fix its performance in artic camping has been awsome most propane stoves suck at -20 or colder its been sheep hunting in the brooks range and the alaska range that stove has sold many xgk stoves to others who have been around it, it performs that good and at 34 years old it still performs comparible to anything you can buy today

My experience as a backpacker and mountain climber using stoves up to 12,000' elv and on snow in warm to cold conditons. Avoid the liquid fuel stoves unless you are going on an expediton out of the country where you cannot find the Butane/Propane mix cartridges. Liquid is messy, slower to start and dangerous around your tent. I have had good results and no problems with the cartridge stoves. Use a wind shield. I buy the comercial MSR aluminum one and cut it down to fit. It only needs to go slightly above the bottom edge of the pot. 3/4 -1". I also cut a hole in the side to operate the valve. Do not fit it too tight around the pot or the stove will get too hot. leave about 3/4" clearance all around. Ventilation holes go around the bottom. I made a 1/4' plywood base for my stove about 6" diameter, cut some holes in it, install three metal hooks or clips so the stove base can be attached firmly. Keps your stove from turning over and makes leveling easier. This is a must on snow. I have found one cartridge lasts two people for 2 1/2 days cooking breakfast, dinner and hot drinks. so for one person 5 days. If melting snow triple the amount of fuel. Backpacker william.

Fellas , I am trying to figure out what stove to have in the pack when the truck parks and the hiking begins. I am planning on being by my self so carrying every thing in on my back , though I will probably be only about a mile and a half it is exstremely steep and all up hill. I wanted to hunt these areas this past season but was only able to hunt at the lower elevations and listen to bugles up there due to the needing to leave at 2:30am to make it up there buy daylight . Elevation is in the neighborhood of 11K and am not sure what will work best for mtn house meals (16/oz of boilling water) and need to be able to carry enough fuel for 4-5 days . Alcohol, butane ,hard fuel ect. your thoughts please.[

You cant go wrong with primus or optimus stoves from Sweden - solid, reliable - I have used an optimus white gas stove in the northern british columbia winter at minus 47 celsius - it needed pumping a few times during cooking, but did a great job in extreme cold. Also used it at 3500 metres (about 11500 feet) above sea level with no problems. I have friends who swear by MSR white gas stoves - they also seem very reliable, but the legs arent as strong as the primus or optimus. For cold weather or high altitude, white gas (naphtha) is the way to go. Dont get it on exposed skin in extreme cold though as it can cause frostbite.

white gas is the way to go. Optimus or primus - used both in extreme cold in northern BC winter. Also used optimus at about 3500 metres above sea level - no problems at any time - simple, reliable and robust

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.