Stocks.

Good topic brother. You know as long as a stocks barrel channel is open up for a good no-contact stock barrel relationship and either is bedded or some type of aluminum chassis within stock I could care less. I tend to gravitate more towards vertical grip style stocks such as manners T4, T2, EH1 etc. That is my only real concern. And as mentioned no Tupperware!! If it meets all the above criteria I could care less who makes it. Man them are some pretty woods!
Since you like the woods thought I would send you a pic from last week

Attachments

• IMG_20190918_114229.jpg
    IMG_20190918_114229.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 161
I've seen very few threads regarding this subject. Seems like everyone is willing to discuss why their pet cartridge will save humanity, but no one feels the need to discuss stocks outside of a personal preference.
There's a lot of dislike for companies like Bell and Carlson and HS Precision. Why? Unless you're a "sniper," chances are your hunting rig will be shot less than 20x's annually.
What do you say makes a better rifle stock and what makes the above mentioned less than?
i own several stocks from many manufacturers and I have my preferences.
I know my opinion, I want to hear yours.

I'm currently sitting in a stand with a custom rifle wearing a manners stock.
View attachment 152007
I really like the McMillan stocks my current bench rest stock fit great as the action dropped right in with no adjustments and shot a 1/8 " three shot group in the 1st outing !

I modify my own stocks, pillar, bed, stiffin, lighten, add cheek risers blah blah blah.

I prefer chassis. Have a couple mdt for hunting and comp. My current in process build will out the mdt lss xl at 2.5 lbs and close to mpa Ba ultra light. I'm

For me, the main reasons for owning a custom stock are:
1) better fit
2) enhanced accuracy potential; and
3) designed and built for specific purpose (generally)

I have both McMillan and Manners stocks, as well as one B&C. My favorite has to be the McMillan A-5 with adjustable comb.

Big thing for me is length of pull. Some how I ended up with monkey arms. I need a minimum of 14" lop. Almost all factory stocks feel like youth guns.
After that then weight and design factor in. B&C stocks are a great buy, but a little heavy. Kevlar and CF are great, but pricey. Laminate stocks have their place. I have a soft spot for thumbhole stocks.

Depends on what your doing with it? For target and vermin I like wood. But when it comes to hunting anything except wood hunting in the Mountains and on horse back it seems something gets broken all the time

Big thing for me is length of pull. Some how I ended up with monkey arms. I need a minimum of 14" lop. Almost all factory stocks feel like youth guns.
After that then weight and design factor in. B&C stocks are a great buy, but a little heavy. Kevlar and CF are great, but pricey. Laminate stocks have their place. I have a soft spot for thumbhole stocks.
I have the opposite issue. 12.5 LOP

lately, for hunting guns, I have got Boyd's thumb hole laminates. I do some dremel work on the inside. Glass bedding, barrel relieving, and coat with Duracoat Clear. It has made for some awesome looking and shooting guns. I liked the first one so much that I have done it to most of my hunting rifles. That thumbhole to the shoulder feel is awesome!!
.375 Ruger and Mickey.jpg

I have been shooting a McMillan a3 sporter extensively the past several months. For prone over a pack with a sling, no bipod, I love it. Comb height is perfect, not requiring a stock pack or comb hardware. The grip is vertical and very comfortable. The fore end is more of a beavertail, which while I don't love the look, functions wonderfully both prone, sitting, and offhand. The drop is a great compromise between a prone stock and general hunting stock.

I've also got a standard a3 and a Sako hunter. By far for general hunting, the a3 sporter is a superior stock to me.

I also have a bc on my Tikka that works well. The foreend works well from a sling, but the grip is a little chunky and not long enough for my preferrred grip style.

I just got a gamescout with edge fill for a model 70. The extreme weather comes with a B&C stock but the grip is wayyy too open. I think wide open grips like that will be going away. I really can't see any benefit to it. If it were faster we'd see open style grips on 3G rifles and PRS rigs. If it were more accurate we'd see it on f-class and PRS rigs.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.