Stocks.

Holycity73

I've seen very few threads regarding this subject. Seems like everyone is willing to discuss why their pet cartridge will save humanity, but no one feels the need to discuss stocks outside of a personal preference.
There's a lot of dislike for companies like Bell and Carlson and HS Precision. Why? Unless you're a "sniper," chances are your hunting rig will be shot less than 20x's annually.
What do you say makes a better rifle stock and what makes the above mentioned less than?
i own several stocks from many manufacturers and I have my preferences.
I know my opinion, I want to hear yours.

I'm currently sitting in a stand with a custom rifle wearing a manners stock.
8902DD01-526B-49FD-B669-99893FA5FFE9.jpeg

I like b&c but the forearm could be a little stiffer but it still prevents contact on the barrel
Imo whoever at hs precision that designed the stock that rem puts on their mil specs has monkey hands.
I like laminate stocks, their stiff, rigid and seem to soak up recoil vibrations, and their inexpensive, but I'm not one to worry about the nth ounce my rifle has. My belly needs to shed weight more lol

I like stocks that are stiff, weather resistant, have a high comb for better/consistent alignment with optic, have a vertical grip for better/consistent trigger finger placement, light weight for rifles I pack a lot & heavy for rifles that only see the range. I get stock A.D.D., so I like mini-chassis to make it easy to swap rifles around.

Manners just fit me well, so that's what all my rifles use. And I'm not a "sniper", but I shoot cases of ammo through my hunting rifles each year.;)

I have a manners T6A on order for the added adjustability for use on my match rifle and my wife being able to use it more ergonomically.

I've had a B&C M40 on my .223 Tikka for the past 3 years without complaint. It has served me well hunting coyotes and ringing steel to impressive distances. Probably have 3000 rounds through that rifle.

I want to try a Manners EH4 and I'll probably get a Manners CS when my kids get old enough to hunt due to the easily adjustable length of pull.

All in all my favorite "practical" bolt gun stock is the MCM A1-3. I wish that Grayboe or MC3 would make a budget friendly version. I like the ease of flicking off the safety VS a vertical grip like a Manners T4 or MCM A5. The raised cheek is nice for larger scopes and the wider Fore-end is nice for shooting off a vehicle or fence post or other natural occurring shooting position. It's not too wide to sit nicely in a bog pod saddle either.

These are my observations so far in my use of various stocks.

Absolutely nothing wrong with HS or BC. BC M40 is a great stock. HS makes several variants of the one that comes on the mil spec 700s. The ones without the palm swell are perfect.

I bought a manners stock and now I can never go back. They are too nice. But BC and HS are great, especially with their low prices.

Good topic brother. You know as long as a stocks barrel channel is open up for a good no-contact stock barrel relationship and either is bedded or some type of aluminum chassis within stock I could care less. I tend to gravitate more towards vertical grip style stocks such as manners T4, T2, EH1 etc. That is my only real concern. And as mentioned no Tupperware!! If it meets all the above criteria I could care less who makes it. Man them are some pretty woods!

I have a Ruger 77 that started its life as a 7mag and then a 270wsm and now a 270wby, it has the factory wood stock on it and looks like it has been drug behind a tractor for a day or two. It is by far my favorite because of the memories. Every nick, scratch and dent tells a story. Everytime I hunt with it. I get the feeling like you get when you are going home. It just feels right. I have just about every other manufacturers stock sitting in my safe with some sort of custom action, barrel, and trigger, But if I want to go to the woods and feel like something special is about to happen I take (Betsey) the old Ruger 77. I love her.

HS and B&C are the only stocks I have actually and I don't have any issues with any of them (maybe I just don't know any better as a result, though ;)). Contemplating getting an Oryx chassis for a Ruger American soon.

My favorite fiberglass stock manufacturer is McMillan. They are a bit over 100 miles away. I have visited them a few times. It is nice to be able to hold a variety of styles. I currently have four on my most serious hunting rifles. Two hunter and two Ruger Ultralight.

The rest of the rifles use a laminate including a Joel Russo. Have one Stocky's laminate that was originally called the tacticool. I never warmed up to that notch in the bottom of the stock so I cut it off and added a piece of wood to give it a normal sloped bottom. I also have a Shehane tracker for a heavy 6 BR.

Only walnut stocked rifles are my Grandfather's 1950s marlin and my father's first rifle a Savage model 24.

I just like one that fits me and is impervious to weather. And by all means unless the rifle has a barrel band the fore end must be stiff enough so it can't flex and touch the barrel. I don't care about the brand. I have a McMillan on my STW that I really like, but I've used a couple Tupperware stocks that fit me and I didn't have a problem with.

I've seen very few threads regarding this subject. Seems like everyone is willing to discuss why their pet cartridge will save humanity, but no one feels the need to discuss stocks outside of a personal preference.
There's a lot of dislike for companies like Bell and Carlson and HS Precision. Why? Unless you're a "sniper," chances are your hunting rig will be shot less than 20x's annually.
What do you say makes a better rifle stock and what makes the above mentioned less than?
i own several stocks from many manufacturers and I have my preferences.
I know my opinion, I want to hear yours.

I'm currently sitting in a stand with a custom rifle wearing a manners stock.
View attachment 152007
I have used H&S and really like them they were Remingtons go to for the past 40years for there army 308s and there heavy police rifles which most cop shops used along with most Federal depts used. I have and like manners on my match rifle but now am useing AGs they are good and quick to get no 6-8 month wait time for one and the carbon fiber stock are light

Hunting - I like an old school wood stock. Slim fore end. Bedded properly I've never bought into the "need" per se to go fiberglass or other resin type material. Similarly I don't feel that the shine of the bluing on my older rifles ever spooked an animal and as such I think gun writers and manufacturers have hoodwinked most into matte black which costs manufacturers less but is less attractive. I think Manufactruring costs have done same for stocks. I do however have a McMillan and a few HS stocks. I see nothing inherently wrong with any of them. Just nothing that indicates an huge advantage in using them either.

While long range shooting usually allows for considerable time for setting up the shot, it seems abit odd to me that there is such little emphasis on stock design and fit adjustment to the individual shooter as there is in the shotgun/ wingshooting community. We usually find something that is "reasonably" comfortable and wish to do little more than bed the action. I understand the details but also understand how much we could improve with a properly designed, fit, and adjusted stock. But short of true custom, adjustability comes with a relatively severe weight penalty.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.