stock painting

Tikkamike

I have a choate tactical stock in black and I got some hoppes on it when I wiped it away I found out the stock USA desert tan color underneath. So I'm going to strip the stock and get it nice and clean then I want to paint it. I assume I will need a good primer and a special paint. Does anyone have some tips for me and know what kind of paint /primer ill need?

never painted a rifle stock but I've painted a ton of decoys. The rustoleum oil based paints are great for items like decoys (and i would assume synthetic stocks) that are going to get serious field use and banged around. I'd think they would hold up well against solvents too opposed to latex paints.

Check out Dura- Coat. I do Dura- Coat finishing. You can get it from Brownells i believe, or go to Lauerweaponry.com

I have messed with dura coat in the past and found that for the price I prefer to krylon. As long as you do a proper prep, use multiple thin coats, apply a clear coat, and give it plenty of time to cure before use it works pretty good. I just finished a savage barreled action and it turned out great. While I was putting the trigger back in I dropped it and the barrel hit my tool box hard with no damage to the finish so I am fairly impressed.

Mike,
If you decide to use an epoxy based paint,be sure you have the proper respiratory gear on hand. Epoxy paint is really nasty stuff and contains ingredients that are known carcinogens.
Chas

I would use the cerekote and bake it in the oven, should be able to put the stock in there might need to leave the door open. I have found that provides the best finish. Bell & Carlson (does not have to be theirs) will also repaint a stock and they can also add the dura-touch coating which is really nice. Kevin Weaver also has the ability to add that same rubberized coating.

The above suggestions would only work if you have a airbrush.

Otherwise Krylon has worked for me also, just make sure you get all the oil off the stock with a good wipe down of acetone.

Jon

I have painted several rifles and shotguns, I have found that the textured Rustoleum lawn furniture paint works really well. I usually start with a self etching primer on the metals then hit it with the rustoleum. After that I airbrush anything else I want on it and shoot it with a matt clear. Let it cure for a couple of days then use the heck out of it...

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.