Stock "painting question..

Discussion in 'Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics' started by longrange7, Jan 3, 2009.

1. longrange7

longrange7 Member

As you might have seen in an earlier post I got a beat up savage rifle with a wood stock,I semi-refinished it,but was wondering if there was a "paint" that was durable and looked good too..

2. sharpshooter342

sharpshooter342 New Member

Are you talking about a clear protective coat to make it shine? Because i'm not sure how good a painted wood stock would turn out.

3. jcoop

jcoop Well-Known Member

Truck bed liner works great.

4. longrange7

longrange7 Member

Really? how do you apply it?

5. Magnumpeanut

Magnumpeanut Well-Known Member

Its a wood stock!

Do not defile it with paint. Take your time, sand it down, wood fill the gouges and then stain and varithane it. AIf it needs some tlc, that's fine, it will look better after wards and you'll be proud of the work that you put into it.

6. longrange7

longrange7 Member

I know,but it's not good wood,and plus I know i'd just scratch it up..

7. MachV

MachV Well-Known Member

A Buddy sent his Savage birch stock off to someone that put a camo finish on it, not sure if it was paint or some type of film? Cost was over $100 and it isnt holding up much better than the couple of dallars of Krylon I used??

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And definatly not as tuff as the stuff James Jones used on this laminate stock! Yep thats some kind of black paint that has held up for years under not so ideal conditions.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 3, 2009
  8. longrange7

longrange7 Member

Explain?

9. jcoop

jcoop Well-Known Member

You can have good success using the role on Herculiner Truck Bed Liners if you take your time. Or you can use the DIY spray kind (I do not think it is as tuff). The best and toughest is to take it to your local Extreme liner dealer and they will do it for around $50 and it is tuff and looks great.