Stock Paint Job Like Manners Elite Camo?

DIY sponge jobs are easier than you think! Just go to the hardware store and pick up some of the large natural sponges with the really large cell structure (they are cheap enough to buy some for practice).
Get a piece of cardboard and the colors you want and practice your pattern layout then have your stock prepped and ready once you get the results you're after.
Less is better when dipping in the paint to avoid smudges.

It's not hard to do yourself, buy some paint sponges from amazon or a hobby store and a couple colors of camo spray paint. Spray the sponge till is pretty wet and dab it on the stock. The base coat should be black if you are going for a Manners copy.

Attachments

• B25B81C4-E515-4281-B202-A6347D891AF9.jpeg
    B25B81C4-E515-4281-B202-A6347D891AF9.jpeg
    327.1 KB · Views: 368
  • C4C92A4D-D5B2-4E38-9C42-022B67B7407A.jpeg
    C4C92A4D-D5B2-4E38-9C42-022B67B7407A.jpeg
    567.1 KB · Views: 394
Alamo didn't paint those stocks that's the way they come from Manners and AG composites. I didn't read close enough that you wanted carbon fiber to show through. There is a reason Christensen paints their stocks. There is they may not use a clear resin in the carbon layup process and if you strip the paint off you will probably find bondo and an unpleasant appearance. There is only one way to make your present stock have to look you want. You will first have to have it dipped in a carbon fiber hydrographic film then sponge painted over that.

Very simple to hydro dip it yourself, then spray with clear Duracoat which is much tougher than regular clear coat.

I bought a DuPont carbon fiber kit, for the life of me couldn't get the pattern to lay right, so I used their base coat then sponged few colors and finally Matte clear. Make sure to use the paint inhibitor and clean well. Pretty straight forward. Best wishes

i've done several sponge camos on my guns and few for friends. do a base coat and then 2-3 colors on top. you dont have to have a sponge either. i just use a paper towel. spray it, dab a few times, spray again. i've never done a clear coat either as it's going to get chipped and worn off but it's easy to fix.

The carbon fiber look I am chasing seems to be the biggest challenge. The sponge work and clearcoat looks easy enough...
Makes sense. I saw a guy paint a hood charcoal, then cover with some drawer protector stuff and lightly spray silver over the top for a faux carbon fiber look. Looked great to me, but it is a lot of work.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.