Stock design

Rflshootr

Can anyone give me an explanation for the design of a stock that has the cut out between the pistol grip and the toe? To me it seems like a marketing ploy and is pretty useless.
1647546940036.png

That cut-out feature will allow the right hand palm to be placed near the center line of the stock - I for one appreciate that feature as it improves control of the stock by allowing the right hand palm to push forward on the stock vs. only gripping the stock - sort of like that of a thumb hole stock. A good desirable feature. Nice for bipod use.

^^^
Benchrest stocks for free-recoil applications are flat- allowing the rifle to slide back on the rear bag under recoil.
Moving the rifle fore/aft on the bag doesn't change it's muzzle orientation up/down.

With it angled, sliding the bag forward raises the muzzle, slide bag to the rear lowers it.
Allows making major adjustments easier in my experience.

I got all that, but, the bottom surface of the stock, where the sling swivel stud is located, and the bottom of the cut out are parallel lines which means they are both the same angle. Would it not be easier to make major elevation adjustments when you don't have to worry about the bag or your hand running out of room to get the extra adjustment that you'd lose by being stopped by the cut out and having to reposition everything?

I would prefer to have a longer stud free surface where the rear sling stud is located. I would relocate the rear stud forward to the short surface that is more angled up. That would make for a longer smooth surface for the rear bag and would enable the stud to be used for sling carry. Rear bag contact would be on the far rear stock surface, best to have no stud there. My stocks having similar designs have studs located away from bag contacts, like on the short surface that is more angled up & sling carry works just fine. The front stud needs to be moved forward about 2 inches. This is not a BR type stock most happy with bags - is a TAC type stock. I like pic rails for bipods, use of which is common for TAC type stocks. Laminates are easy to drill into then turn in threaded screw type studs. Any screw ups with misplaced holes can be plugged up, sanded smooth then refinished, most likely without redoing entire stock.

Last edited:
Can anyone give me an explanation for the design of a stock that has the cut out between the pistol grip and the toe? To me it seems like a marketing ploy and is pretty useless.

A lack of specific knowledge might lead in that direction. However, that particular 'cutout' is there for a reason.

It serves as a rest place for either your fist or your squeeze bag to allow for quick adjustments for elevation in situations where those adjustments need to made quickly, PRS competitions or a hunting situation which might go south without some elevation change. If this doesn't enter into your necessary adjustments, skip the design and get a regular buttstock design.

Every stock I make these days uses QD or Quick Detachable Flush Cups:

From Rifle Shooter:
Quick detach, flush mounted sling cups offer the shooter easy attachment and removal of a sling while remaining unobtrusive and snag free on the rifle stock. Unlike a traditional QD stud, flush cups are below the surface. For instance, when located on the bottom rear of a stock, a traditional stud can drag on a rear bag, with the sling removed, the flush cup does not have this problem.

1650723814145.jpeg

https://rifleshooter.com/2013/09/installing-mcmillian-quick-detach-sling-flush-cups/

A lack of specific knowledge might lead in that direction. However, that particular 'cutout' is there for a reason.

It serves as a rest place for either your fist or your squeeze bag to allow for quick adjustments for elevation in situations where those adjustments need to made quickly, PRS competitions or a hunting situation which might go south without some elevation change. If this doesn't enter into your necessary adjustments, skip the design and get a regular buttstock design.

Every stock I make these days uses QD or Quick Detachable Flush Cups:

View attachment 360509

https://rifleshooter.com/2013/09/installing-mcmillian-quick-detach-sling-flush-cups/
You're a stock maker? Which stocks do you make?

I am not specifically a stock maker as I don't want to make stocks all the time, but I make what I need for custom projects. Everything is one-of-a-kind.

If you need a great stock maker, call Doan Trevor:

https://doantrevor.com/

He is absolutely top of the line!

:)

Recent Posts