ELR Folding Stock?

redneckclimbing

My brother and I are getting ready to build matching 338NM. We are set on everything except stocks. We would both like a folding model just for backpacking ease into hunting areas.

My first thought was the AI. Then the other night I remembered that Manners had come out with a folder. It looks good, in that the back folds into a nice flat side, it has an angled toe (which I like), and it looks like it would be both shorter and narrower than the AI when folded. Then add in the fact that it is a bedded fiberglass as opposed to an Aluminum chassis.

These will be our first truly dedicated ELR set-ups, and the plan is to shoot out to 2k+ or more as we progress.

Anyone's opinions and experiences with the Manners folding stocks would be appreciated.

I have the Manners TF-4 Folding stock with mini-chassis on my 284-Shehane.

The folding option and mini-chassis add a little weight.

The lock-up is rock solid as is the mechanism that locks it in the folded position.

Hinge is on the left side so if you are a leftie that may be a source of irritation. I am a rightie but really don't think it would bother me if I were not, because of how I grip the stock (thumb on top/side, finger tips on grip and palm only lightly touching).

I also have a McRee with the folding mechanism as well for reference (another fine option).

Personal likes:

1. The traditional materials are less snag prone when using a Eberlestock pack
  2. The feel of a non-chassis stock
  3. Weight is very reasonable
  4. The added weight for my options shifts the weight a little further back.
  5. Molded in color.
  6. Ease of transporting. I can use the same soft case that I use to transport my AR-15 to transport my 28" long barreled, long action rifle (that is a huge positive in my book). It was a drag transporting other non-folding rifles around before.
Dislikes:

1. Cannot really use a stock pack because it interferes with the locking mechanism that locks the stock in the folded position.
  2. Cost, by the time I add all the options I want it get's pricey.
So where does that leave me? For my ELR build that is in process: I have ordered the TF1, with mini chassis to feed the CIP length Lapua Mag Magazines.

I know that the CIP length magazine is not ideal for what I am doing, but the lack of availability of the Seekins vs. the abundance of CIP magazines drove my decision.

Plus for ELR plinking I will be single feeding anyways and for hunting I will be using the Barnes TTSX & TSX which have a shorter Ogive and like to be jumped so should work fine in the CIP length magazine for the intended use.

In summary I will not own another non-folding stock again. Being in the city, it means my shooting involves transporting my rifle every time I want to go shooting, so it is a feature that adds allot to the enjoyment of my hobby.

Last edited:
Rockfish Dave-

THANKS A TON, for the reply. That's exactly what I was looking for. One other question if you don't mind. How much length does folding the Manners shorten the rifle? I believe the AICS shortens the stock 8" if I remember right, and I was just trying to get a comparison.

Thanks again

Has anyone looked at the KRG stocks? I'm more of a traditional stock guy but if one was looking at a folder what's your thoughts on KRG's folder? It is an aluminum stock.

On my next 338 NM build I am considering this new McMillan stock.

McMillan Tactical Stocks, McMillan Fiberglass Stocks, Synthetic Stocks, Tactical Stocks

BAF (Bolt Action Folder) NEW

The new Bolt Action Folder stock is a variation of McMillan's MFS-14 stock redesigned to accept bolt action rifles. The pistol grip has been re-contoured to provide a more comfortable and vertical grip. The generic rear tang area allows McMillan to inlet this stock for a variety of bolt action rifles. The BAF takes actions up to 1.4" in diameter and barrels up to 1.35" in diameter. The stock comes in two versions, one with an extended forearm to accept either of McMillan's forearm accessory tri-rails, and one with a shorter conventional forearm. Both stocks are for right hand rifles only and come with the folding mechanism and buttstock adaptor. This stock accepts the same options as the MFS-14. All colors and finishes are available. Colors shown, woodland camo and blk, green, tan marble.

What about xlr?

Ican...

Unless Kyle is holding back on posting about it - or I am out of touch - XLR does not build a folder. That noted, it is not a big deal to R&R the XLR butt section.

R..N..C..:

Ican... has a point though. If you were to use a chassis that would allow yo to easily R&R the butt section, you'd have a nice setup. And it would give you the flexibility of placing the butt section in a location where you don't have to double up on the depth of the compartment.

You noted 338 NM but not much else, which action and how big is the barrel (dia and length)?

Have you considered a bullpup style chassis, like the Defensive Edge LRKM (LRKM) or the Desert Tech SRS-A1 (DTA SRS-A1 Rifle Chassis - Firearms - Desert Tactical Arms)?

I just measured the stock. It reduces the OAL by 10.5 inches.

The XLR does have a folding option.

pictureday3_022.JPG

XLR Industries | options

Well, thanks for the suggestions. There were a couple there I had never seen before.

I will say that I had thought about the XLR but I didn't think that they had a CIP length chasis, which I DEFENITELY want. I did see though that they sell CIP mags so I will try and give them a call on mon. Also, there shop is about 40 mins. from my house, so it would be pretty easy to stop in.

One thing I did like about the looks of the Manners was that it is fairly streamlined, and I could use the DSSF bottom metal from Accurate-Mag. It is supposed to be .75" shorter than a standard AI.

I defenitely do not like a flat toe. I just think it's too hard to adjust for elevation when using a rear bag, maybe just preference. I also defenitely want a stock that folds and doesn't come off. I know me and I would loose it almost certainly.

So, what I am looking for is a folding stock, CIP length, DBM, for a Rem 700 with an angled toe.

I'll let you all know what I hear about the XLR and the CIP mags unless someone already knows?

Does anyone know of a 3 round CIP length 338 LM magazine? I think that would be perfect for hunting! When do you get 3 shots let alone 4? And it wouldn't stick out from under the trigger guard so far.

Anyone else who wants to chime in, feel free, I really appreciate the suggestions.

I just noticed that McCree precision has a CIP length folder now. I have to say that i really love the price, (on sale right now for $600).

Pros:
Price (is the Manners worth $700 more?)
The buttpad adjusts up and down which I think is great.
Would be easier to attach my Versa-Pod.

Cons:
Is it going to be as accurate as a Fiberglass Stock?
Not as smooth as the Manners but not nearly as bad as some of the other chasis.
Not entirely sure that I'm sold on the pistol grip.

Thoughts anyone? Anyone used one on a longrange rig? How did it shoot?

I have the McRee chassis and cannot bring myself to replace it. It shoots extremely accurate when I learned to experiment with the torque values for the action bolts. Mine seems to like 40 for the front and 28 for the rear. The manners performed the same but costs just under twice as much.

My likes are the McRee is:
1) extremely adjustable
2) durable
3) cost
4) can use a stock pack (highly recommended)
5) Can use any m4 grip. I swapped mine out with the ergo grip.

Dislikes:
1) No thumb shelf (kind of a big deal for me given my preferred grip)
2) some sharp edges
3) in cold weather aluminum chassis just feel colder (bought a skid plate which I hope will help) http://www.deltaoutdoorsman.com/scart/index.php?act=viewProd&productId=281
4) In general the way the stock comes over the top kind of bugs me.

Here is a link to some recent groups:

http://forum.accurateshooter.com/index.php?topic=3821760.msg36297867#msg36297867

It really comes down to how much value do you place on the pros vs cons between the various products out there. I hope this has been of assistance.

- Dave

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.