Stiller TAC338 stock options

mitch260

I am looking at starting a build on TAC338 action, can I use a stock inletted for a Remington 700 as long as I open it up for the larger action diameter? I am assuming the bolt spacing is the same so you can use regular bottom metal. How different is the recoil lug position? I'm pretty sure I can, just want verification.

Thanks

If I'm not mistaken, I had to use HS Precision bottom metal or a Wyatts
"'center feed" type magazine box. I think I changed mine out to the Wyatts CF-9, for the extra length, with the "BDL type" bottom metal. I started with the HS Detachable Magazine, but the Mag was too short for what I wanted. 338-378 Weatherby is what I built on that action. Good Luck with your build.
http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f53/mcrs-338-378-a-99342/

Last edited:
If I'm not mistaken, I had to use HS Precision bottom metal or a Wyatts
"'center feed" type magazine box. I think I changed mine out to the Wyatts CF-9, for the extra length, with the "BDL type" bottom metal. I started with the HS Detachable Magazine, but the Mag was too short for what I wanted. 338-378 Weatherby is what I built on that action. Good Luck with your build.
http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f53/mcrs-338-378-a-99342/

Yes, but that was because you went .338-378 correct? And those were still remington 700 magazine systems? I'm doing a 300 Norma and plan on using PTG bottom metal and AI mags.

The reason I ask is because I have a McMillan A-5 inletted for a remington 700 and "m5" style bottom metal. I'm hoping I can just throw it in the mill and open up the stock for the diameter of the action and do something for the recoil lug and that the action bolt spacing is still the same as the Rem 700.

And thank you!

Check with Russ, at Stiller, to be sure, but I'm pretty sure that my TAC 338 action had to use a center feed magazine box. Regular long action bottom metal will fit, as long as you use a center feed box. The AI Mags are center feed, if I am not mistaken. Russ will be glad to answer any questions about what will fit your action.

Last edited:
Yes it will fit apart from opening up for the action diameter you will have to machine a new slot half an inch forward for the recoil lug, and the bolt handle will fit with no mods.
Cheers .

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.