stiller predator vs. lawton 7500.

screech

If you were going to go with either of these two actions which would you go with? If you have used either of these actions what did you like and dislike about it? thanks.

I believe the Lawton 7000 would be more comparable to the Preditor.
I have a 7500 dual port on the way so that should tell you what I think.
If I were building a hunting rifle I would go with the Lawton 7000. The tolerances on the 7500 could cause problems in the field. Without looking I am sure the 7000 is less expensive than the Predator.
I know Kirby did some measuring tests on the 7000. I would be interested if he has had a Predator in his hands to compare them.

[ QUOTE ]
I know Kirby did some measuring tests on the 7000. I would be interested if he has had a Predator in his hands to compare them.

[/ QUOTE ]

He'll have a couple in his hands before too long!!!

I have a couple stillers in my shop right now. I would say they compare pretty much the same to the M7000 Lawtons in squareness. They will range from 0.0002" to 0.0008" in variation across the bolt face to the receiver face and anywhere in between these ranges from what I am seeing.

The M7500 receiver on the other hand that I have was extremely square, right at 0.0001" variation. Kind of like comparing apples to oranges however. One is an ecomony line custom replacement for a Rem 700 (Stiller Predator) and the other is the companies long range BR receiver(Lawton M7500).

For my money comparing those two receivers I would go with the Lawton M7500 from what I am seeing actually measuring receivers but that is not to say the Stiller will not make a fine rifle, us gunsmiths are just a bit anal about those last few ten thou of an inch values!!!

Kirby Allen(50)

Bill what's the lead time on a Predator.
And is the project secret or can you tell us what your building.
My plans are for a 6mm Talldog, not a longrange round.
Centrepunch thanks I knew I read that somewhere, just couldn't remember where.

Kirby
If I remember correctly Barney told me that the tenon on the 7500 is 1/4" longer than the 700(making them not an exact drop in replacement). Are the 7000s the same as the 7500 in that regard.

That is correct, the receiver threads are 1/4" longer as is the bolt lug and head.

The recoil lug as such is positioned 1/4" farther ahead as well but everything else is identical to a Rem 700. It is a simply process to mill the recoil lug recess 1/4" farther ahead and then simply bed the receiver with marine tex and your none the different.

The longer thread section and longer bolt head are simply advantages over the other M700 clones. I rate the M7500 that I have on my medium heavy 7mm AM, the one I used in Idaho with Shawn C this last fall as equal to that of a Nesika Bay M receiver as a single shot.

Only thing is that I wish the M7500 came as a repeater but dimensionally that is not possible for techical reasons.

Simply put, its easy to drop in an M7500 into a Rem 700 stock in most cases. Do not let that turn you away from the M7500.

Kirby Allen(50)

I am getting one of their new tactical long actions and should have it in a couple of weeks. I think the lead time on the actual predator is about the same.

I'm building a 338 edge on this receiver. It will wear an HS tactical stock, an ABS carbon bbl finished @ 26" (if we can find Mike) and a Jewell trigger set @ 1.5#. Going to use the HS bottom metal and box as well. Maybe I'll have something that won't kill me to carry around.

The Stiller Predator is advertised as a "hunting action". That is why you see the tolerances open up a little - its designed to be dragged through the mud, snow, and dirt then put a bullet behind the shoulder of an animal. The Lawton 7000 will do this also.

In my opinion, the Lawton 7500 and some of the other high end actions are built to be benchshooters w/ ultra tight tolerances, which produce ultra tight groups. There are alot of good actions out there, you just have decide what its purpose is going to be.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.