stiller action issues.

CBS

not sure whats going on. for reference this is a left hand action in 7mm with a benchmark barrel and mcmillan stock. scope is a NF 5-22, thought it might be the scope so today i put my march 5-40 on it with the same results. loads are on the warm side at 3100fps with 168 vlds and retumbo.

i replaced a remington action with a stiller predator on my 7mm. the remington had some issues and caused me to lose a decent buck as my scope base came loose. so, to solve that problem i upgraded to the stiller. accuracy has fallen off significantly and after doing load workup again it still doesnt shoot like i expect it to. with the remington action i was shooting 1.5" at 400 which is as good as i can shoot. (same bullet im using now but with RL22) with the stiller the best i can get it to shoot is MOA at distance and roughly .5MOA at 100.

today i noticed something that i think may be causing the issue. looking at the removed bolt as if the bolt were in the open position there is a very shiny spot on the top located between the lugs and just behind. it appears to be polished while the bottom directly opposite is not polished.

and, again looking at the bolt the left lug shows significantly more "polished" surface on the back side of the lug as well as just behind the lug than the right lug. closing the bolt feels very gritty even after a thorough cleaning.

tomorrow i will be taking it back to the gunsmith that put it together for me. im not very confident in his abilities after the previous action had problems and now this one.

any advice or help on the issue would be very appreciated.

I've never seen a Stiller with both lugs contacting correctly, also the holes inside of the bolt is done in a couple steps and if they get of the firing pin hole will not line up with the body hole and you'll get pin drag and binding.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.