Stiller Action ??????

Discussion in 'Gunsmithing' started by demarpaint, Aug 8, 2007.

1. demarpaint

demarpaint Well-Known Member

Do the Stiller Actions require any truing work? Or can a barrel be chambered, threaded, headspaced and GTG?

Thanks,
    Frank D

2. James Jones

James Jones Well-Known Member

From what I understand they are fully strait and ready to screw the barrel on. I would always check the action first just to make sure that somthing diden't slip through but if I had to do any work to one to make it strait then I'd be looking for a bit of a refund. I have heard a few guys say that they had to have an custom action (couple differant ones) cut on a little bit to make it strait and when the contacted the action maker about it they were told it was withing their spec , so when it comes time for me to build on a custom action I'll be talking to the maker about what their specs are.

3. EddieHarren

EddieHarren Well-Known Member

Stiller Actions

On the dozen or so Predator actions, I've put barrels on, the specs have been amazingly uniform. This is the primary reason I believe them to be the best "bang for the buck" when choosing an action for a varmint or hunting rifle.

4. demarpaint

The last thing I want is to pay for a custom action and have to true it. I have all my custom rifles built on Remington Actions and I am happy with all of them. A lot of guys will tell you use a custom action. I like the looks of the Stillers, and heard good things about them, but would hate to have a smith tell me it needs work. I was looking at the TAC338 for a 338 Lapua, after I get the rest of my parts for a 6.5x55.

Frank D

5. Sid Post

Sid Post Member

I've got a Stiller TAC338 on order so, I guess I'll be testing out it's construction. I'm considering the 338AX versus the 338LM.

6. demarpaint

Thanks Sid, I would be interested in your comments.

I was kicking around 338 Lapua, now wondering about Stiller Vs. Lawton for the action. I have plenty of time and little cash right now.

Frank D