Sticky chamber?

treeman59
The cases are loading easily. The shoulders are bumped back slightly, no more than .002 to ensure this happens.

ogallala_1,
I would think that this may be the only remedy to ensure that I have no issues in the field. That being wiping down all the loaded rounds with alcohol prior to hunting.
Well I went to the range yesterday and shot the rifle with 46.5 and 47 grains of H4350 w/145's. I had three cases hang up slightly. The chamber has been refinished with 240 grit. It was 18 deg. so I need to wait till we get to about 40-50 deg. and see what happens. Need some unfired brass to experiment with too.

I'm going to Fla. too cold to spend the days at the range.

Revisited....Sticky chamber? NOT w/nickel brass

What is this telling me? Other than to use nickeled brass.

Having the issue of Rem/W-W or Norma brass being very hard to eject and showing pressure signs well within book loading loading limits, I switched to some Federal nickel plated brass I had laying around (I usually trash the nickel stuff).

Issue of hard ejection has gone away. I also show no signs of pressure (flat primers). I have also achieved 2750fps with H4350 and WW760 powders with the 145 Speer bullet and I'm still below book/web posted limits.

What is going on with this chamber? Has anyone experienced this? Nickel vs. plain brass.

freebore, does non nickled brass show signs of a rough chamber? if so maybe a little 320 grit polish to the chamber body walls will solve this. just a thought.
treeman

So got back this week from Fla. (it was nice fish were biting) and ran 47.5 of 760 under a 145 Speer Sptzr. CCI-250. The group measured .482... because I could not believe what I was seeing in the scope and pulled the last one or would have been tighter. Velocity was 2830 avg. just what I had been expecting and NO extraction/ejection issues. This was using nickel brass.

The factory barrel load was 49.0 of 760. Same primer just different brass...nickel plated.

So the rifle is doing what I wanted and expected after the re-barrel/finishing job. >2800 fps and under .500 groups. I just have to use nickel brass.

Don't you just love a custom sometimes.!!

treeman,
read back a few post and you will see we took chamber from 320 to 280 finish.

That velocity might be higher than it should be for a 21" barrel. Perhaps you're over max for that chamber.

You haven't solved your original problem from post #1. You were no doubt hot in post #1. Since then, you have enlarged your chamber by honing, changed powder and primer, and are using NICKEL ONLY cases. With a 21 inch barrel, you are probably still too hot. Sticking brass might be the indication.

Freebore,
My Dad had his BLR in .243 Win re-barreled years ago by McGowen Barrels. I'm pretty sure he never had the problem(s) you experienced. He had McGowen fit a 26" Varmint Sporter profile and it shot very good (for my Dad). I have it now, but have only occasionally shot it. I may take it out next deer season for a run. JohnnyK.

longshooter,

You are correct in the fact that I have not cleared the issue of using non-plated brass regardless of manufacturer. However since switching to nickel brass I have not had any of the issues in #1 post.
I switched to WW760 powder and CCI-250's as this is the load that shot extremely well in the factory barrel using any brass. The load shows no signs of pressure and is 1.5 grains below book and what I had shot in the factory barrel. Being a custom barrel/chamber there is no comparison between the two only reference of past data usage. It is doing what I wanted just with nickel brass.
I will try the non-nickel brass again once I have the nickel brass load confirmed for grouping. Got 30mph winds past 3 days here suppose to die tonight.

johnnyk,

It (.243) will probably shoot very well for you. However being 26" of length defeats the purpose of the original design of the rifle for my usage. Here in thick southern Pa.'s woods of hemlock and oaks we hunt from trees for whitetails. A shorter barreled rifle is my preference. The cartridge is where the difference is made.
The original (steel receivers) BLR's were chambered in .284 for a time. I had thought about a 6.5x284 but the barrel needed to be longer to get the full benefit which is what I stated before I didn't want plus the rifle would be front heavy. This rifle I have is very well balanced. Got rid of that browning gloss too, matte bluing and satin wood. I'd be curious as to what kind of performance you do get out of that rifle with 95gr. ballistic tips.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.