Sticky chamber?

Freebore

I had the barrel replaced on my BLR 7mm-08. It is a Krieger 21" factory contour. The chamber was cut to match spec, throated for an overall length of 2.790 with 145 Speer spitzer to touch the lands. The rifle shoots well with the bullet @.010 off the lands. I'm shooting H4350 BR-2's 46.0gr running about 2750 over the chrono.

After firing the cartridge requires considerable force for ejection of spent cartridge that I have to stand up from bench under thigh the stock and pull the lever 2/3 times to remove. This load should be below max. The primers are not flattened. Case head xpansion is not over spec. Looking for what may be the cause of this 'stickyness'. It does not happen on all of the cartridges. Norma brass is used. I also have the same issue with Rem brass.

The rifle shoots under 1/2" at 100 with the 145 or the Hornady 139's. Any corrective suggestions or input would be appreciated. This is my Pa woods rifle.

What does the brass look like? does it have any scratches on it , rings in it? , look at the neck could it be a little to long and be getting into the barrel to far? a tiny bit goes a long way here and with a match cut chamber their is often less room for error

that load isin't "hot" , but it is on the upper side in the max range , does this problem occure do with a grain less powder? The Norma brass is soft and I would suspect that could be an issue but if its doing it with Rem brass alos I'm not sure?

The bolt cycles fine on and empty chamber?

Have you called the smith and asked hiss oppinion?

What does the brass look like? does it have any scratches on it , rings in it? , look at the neck could it be a little to long and be getting into the barrel to far? a tiny bit goes a long way here and with a match cut chamber their is often less room for error

that load isin't "hot" , but it is on the upper side in the max range , does this problem occur do with a grain less powder? The Norma brass is soft and I would suspect that could be an issue but if its doing it with Rem brass alos I'm not sure?

The bolt cycles fine on and empty chamber?

Have you called the smith and asked hiss oppinion?

James,

The brass looks ok, no rings or scratches. The brass is trimmed to min length, but it is something I can look for as it may be too long.
I have not tried a lower load below 46gr as this is the velocity I was looking to achieve with that rifle. At 47grains they all stuck but the load velocity was over 2800fps. The old factory shot a little faster actually at the upper end. I would guess being a match chamber it may need to be reduced and this should be my next move. I just find it hard to understand that I'd be at upper pressure limits that far below printed max.
The bolt cycles fine empty chamber.
No I have not talked to my 'smith, (Sid Goodling) yet. He was really the only local guy that wanted to try rebarreling a BLR, other said no thanks so I came here trying to find out if any LRH 'smiths have come across this issue. My reason for the thread. More data/input. Thank you for yours!

If you leave the spent round in the camber for a minute does it extract easier?

Sounds like you need a Badger bolt knob.:D:D
MagMan,

Allowing a cartridge casing to cool is NOT an option I would want to explore. The Browning Lever action Rifle is sometimes required to cycle quickly in the woods.

Well I guess I was way off base with that huh?:D

You said it cycles fine without a case but what happens if you dry fire it then cycle?

Have you measured the length from shoulder to base before and after firing? A little too much headspace and you can get a little growth and a little tight extraction. This would be very evident with a lever action since it has so little leverage compared to a bolt action.

As you've already mentioned, trying a bit lighter load would be a good next step.

AJ

Have you measured the length from shoulder to base before and after firing? A little too much headspace and you can get a little growth and a little tight extraction. This would be very evident with a lever action since it has so little leverage compared to a bolt action.

As you've already mentioned, trying a bit lighter load would be a good next step.

AJ

AJ,

I have measured the before and after.. .002 is the what I bump the shoulder during reloading. The new brass is about .005 back from my point of measurement before firing.
Guess I'll try lowering the load more to the point of easy extraction. Glad I didn't go with the 6.5/284 chamber if his chambers are that tight. Like you said there is really no leverage with that lever and rotary bolt head. Yes I have lubed the the bolt head prior to every range session.

Few things: try putting a bullet in a shot case. If it does not slide in, you may have to trim the necks. Next try adjusting your sizing die down a little to make sure you are absolutely bottoming out. Finally try trimming a little shorter. A custom reamed chamber can be finickie some times. Good luck!

I talked with the Gunsmith...

I just got off the phone with my gunsmith and he said he has seen this before where in that the cut rifle barrels seem to reach pressure alot quicker than the forged barrels of factory decent. He suggested to go lower charges and use the chrono (I always do) to measure the velocity. He said that he would expect @75fps slower in the 21" barrel than the 24" advertised velocities. This would mean I'd should be in the 2675 fps range.
I had expected to match or better the factory barrel velocities, it is what it is. He also suggested that I should try a faster powder in the 4064 or 4895 range. I love working loads up on a new barrel. Isn't this what we all strive for here, the certifiable one hole target at a great velocity to hit our target at ranges others say 'no way' and we "yea way". A follow-up on results from recommendations to follow later as I'm still huntin' bow/muzzleloader/flintlock.

Happy New Year to all!

NOT Sticky but Slippery chamber!!

Well think we have it figured out. When I cleaned the chamber with alcohol and wiped down the loaded rounds this seemed to eliminate the issue of lever lock up (rotary bolt head). I was able to load and fire rounds loaded with 47 grains of H4350 (still below book max.) and the Speer 145 without having the extraction issue.

It seems that the chamber finish is allowing the case to move enough to apply just enough bolt head pressure to cause extraction issue for a lever action.

Going back to the 'smith tomorrow to hone out chamber with 280 grit finish. Looking at the other BLR I have the factory 358 Win. chamber finish looks to be about a 220 finish or rougher.

I have had the same issue with custom 6mm-284 encore rifle barrel. I found that if their is any left over lube on the case it will stick the case. What I had to do was clean all the cases with brake clean or any cleaner that doesn't leave any oil type residue, and also clean the chamber then the case extracts easier and the ejecter will work then.

john

If you are down on the shell holder with the sizeing die does the round chamber easily? some times if the round chambers hard it can be even harder to extract. just curious,treeman

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.