stepping up long range

stlewis

My name is Steve and I am an avid big game hunter. This year I have decided to step up my game and get serious on long range capabilities. As I am located in Nevada often times we find ourselves with cross canyon shots for Elk and Dear at 400-800 yards. I own a Browning WSM 300, a Leupold VX3 4.5x14x40 CDS and am having a break put on gun to reduce recoil.

To get the Leupold CDS configured I am looking for a good "off-the-shelf" round capable of reaching 400 - 800 yards that can be used against deer and elk. Do you have any suggestions for me on ammo and/or things to consider to step up my long range capability?

Thanks a lot!

Steve

Many here have tried repeatedly to find factory ammo that's up to the task. But, most have fallen short.

If you're shooting rocks or coyotes and walking you're shots in, that's one thing. But, if you're hunting big game and expect to make a cold bore one-shot kill on an Elk at 800 yards, you really need to work up a quality hand load.

The problem that most run into with factory ammo isn't the accuracy. Many rifles will group sub-MOA @ 100yds with factory rounds. Rather, factory loads often have a large velocity spread which provides inconsistent trajectory at 500+yds.

Additionally, practicing enough to have confidence at those distances burns up a lot of ammo.

After many years of taking a break from handloading, I struggled with these same issues and went through a lot of ammo brands. Plenty of sub-MOA ammo for my 30-06. But, I couldn't get anything that was consistent at 500 yds. So, I strated handloading again with great results.

Nonetheless, loaded ammo has improved over the years and is better than ever. You might try some of the premium brands or semi-custom loads. If they won't group @100yds, then they aren't much good for LRH. But, if they do group @100, you still need to practice well past the distance you intend to shoot at in order to validate your data.

Perhaps you'll have more success with factory ammo than I did? Or, maybe you can find someone that you trust who can do some handloading with/for you?

In any case, it's all very doable with today's repeatble turrets, range finders, and ballistics software and you'll find plenty of help here from lots of great experts. ...including a few who regularly shoot extreme long range... 1500-2500yds.

Welcome to LRH.
Richard

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.