Which rifle to use for first long range set up.

i would get a 4.5-14 leup with cds. light , clear , versatile. enough power to determine if it is you or the rifle. i would not a get a fixed power , i would not get a power lower than 14. i would sell what scope and rifles i needed to do it.

i wouldnt get a fixed power either. You just never know when you have to change your power setting

if it is a dedicated target rifle you can get a 36x bushnell for 300. if i was going to use it to hunt and targets i would get a 4.5-14 , 5-15 or similar that i could afford. problem is at some point you have to have laser range finder too, for your distance unless you can judge within 15-25 yards.

Pay once cry once. Forget about saying I dont have money now. Whats going to happen, your going to buy mediocre stuff now only to get rid of it later because you need better equipment. . Its a waste buying just get me there stuff now. Wait wait and buy great

right now on ebay there are Leupold 4.5-14X-50 with target knobs going for less then $500. Just make sure it's a real Leupold and not one of the cheap knock offs they try to sell on there. If it doesn't have the Leupold emblem or a serial number on it - pass

factory ammo through a factory sporter weight barrel= $$$. i bought a vortex viper 6.5-20 for 279 plus ship. i also bought a 7mm mag sendero from texas with a scope and mounts for 485$ plus shipping.

Hi guys i was looking for long range rifle with 300 wsm so my friend he told me check those rifle ( savage 12 VLP DBM ) or ( winchester Model 70 Coyote Light ) or ( browning X-Bolt Long Range Hunter Carbon Fiber ) i got confuse on which one to buy , so please i need some help which is the best long range accurate rifle between those 3 in factory ammo ? please i need a help or idea to make my mind on one thanks .

Last edited:
Hi guys i am looking for long range rifle with 300 wsm so which is the best long range accurate rifle between those 3 rifles ? ( 12 VLP DBM ) or ( Model 70 Coyote Light ) or ( X-Bolt Long Range Hunter Carbon Fiber ) please i need a help or idea to make my mind on one thanks .

Here's a guy shooting a Savage 12 VLP DBM in 300 WSM at 1000 yards with work champ shooter Stan Pate. I have a 12 VLP DBM, good rifle with a VERY good action.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I05PST8Jpwg]Carter Cutlery's High Performance Tips: Precision Rifle Shooting_1,000yds [5/9] - YouTube[/ame]

You can take one and turn it into this very easily if so inclined.

Attachments

• 300wsm.jpg
    300wsm.jpg
    296.8 KB · Views: 8
Hi guys i was looking for long range rifle with 300 wsm so my friend he told me check those rifle ( savage 12 VLP DBM ) or ( winchester Model 70 Coyote Light ) or ( browning X-Bolt Long Range Hunter Carbon Fiber ) i got confuse on which one to buy , so please i need some help which is the best long range accurate rifle between those 3 in factory ammo ? please i need a help or idea to make my mind on one thanks .

With all due respect, you might want to post your thread separately.lightbulb

BTW, welcome to LRH and enjoy!

This is my first post on this website. I'm a high school senior in Texas. I have been hunting all my life, and am wanting to get into truly long range shooting. I've used the equipment i have to take game out to 430ish yards, and targets to 600. My main rifle is a Winchester model 70 .270 made in 1965. Its in a Hogue overmold stock with the aluminum block. My question is, should i use this rifle, or a Savage model 10 factory rifle in .270 as a starting point for a long range rifle? The m70 shoots sub MOA easily, and I havent tried grouping the savage. The savage also has a much thinner barrel than the winchester. Are either of these suitable for LR use?

Welcome to LRH and enjoy!

Whichever rifle groups the best consistently at the intended purpose is the rifle to use.

Barrelknutt- i think your post with the pics will help coleman see what a long range rifle looks like. It will give him an idea what project he has in store , to morph what he has to that. thanks. pressing a sporter weight factory rifle into long range precision is an exercise in frustration for me. Once i had fired a capable rifle that was better than my skill to point it was tough to go back. ron

Ive used many long range rifles, from Gunwerks 7mm mag, to various .50 cal rifles. And ive used those rifles out to 1000 meters on steel and Rocky bluffs. I know what a quality rifle is. But, all those rifles were made from the ground up by custom shops or from the factory for long range. My point in this is that i want to have my own rifle that i have put work into to make it long range capable. And that i can use to show my friends that think they are instantly super marksman that a decent rifle with a well practiced user will beat an idiot with the best rifle around. I know this is going to be a never ending project, that will challenge me to develop my skills more than to develop the rifle. The challenge is what i intend to find the joy in.

Sounds like the Mod 70 shoots pretty well!

IMO -in the long run you will need a caliber whose bullets have a higher BC once you start stretching it out past 600 yards. It will just drop less and buck the wind better.
The great think about the Savage is it is easy and inexpensive to change barrels. I would save the Savage until you were ready for a dedicated long range rifle, then build the Savage with a custom heavy barrel and a good stock. Get something like a 6.5x284 or a 300 Win Mag if you are going to hunt with it.

Don't shut the door on the .270 yet! Nosler makes a long range bullet with a BC of .625 and Matrix Bullets makes one with a BC of .650. Do your research.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.