Starting place for 240 SMK's in a 300 WBY

Marine sniper

I have had great luck with the 300 WBY and 210 Bergers (80 grs. 7828). I would like to try some 240's. I have 7828, Retumbo and H-1000. Looking for a starting place with any of the powders, preferably the Retumbo or H-1000.

I get 3000 fps with the 210's, so I am hoping for 2800 with the 240's ??

Thanks,

John

I have shot a bunch of these things. I am running 71 grains of RL 22. In a 30 in hart barrel I get 2950. The es and sds are very small. I think this is a mild load according to all the manuals but It is plenty fast for me. I think when you start running the long match bulletts faster than 2900 -3000 it get a whole lot harder to fine tune the load. My gun with run them faster with more slower powder but it seems much much harder to to tune. These things hit like a small school bus, maybe a short bus, like I road.
T

Why such a quick burning powder ? I assume a slower burning powder would have a better load density ? I was thinking 7828 would be as quick as I would want to run, probably slower so I could get 80 grains of powder in the case.

I know. Faster than I would have wanted. I have tried RL 25. US 869, and Retumbo. Retumbo showed some promise but, RL 22 was good in accuracy and es, Sd so insted of burning up the barrel I am just gonna stay with it. I was banging steal with it today shooting some 2.5 inch groups with it @ 500 yds. It is ok with me.
T

I know. Faster than I would have wanted. I have tried RL 25. US 869, and Retumbo. Retumbo showed some promise but, RL 22 was good in accuracy and es, Sd so insted of burning up the barrel I am just gonna stay with it. I was banging steal with it today shooting some 2.5 inch groups with it @ 500 yds. It is ok with me.
T

Hmm, ok. I will try some. Thanks.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.