Starting out green

Finch

This last year I went out west and hunted Antelope in Wyoming for the first time. Fell in love with the whole out west experience and vowed to try and make it out there every year I'm physically capable of. I inherited my fathers Remington 700 25-06 and it worked out great for the hunt. Being from Ohio shooting past 100 yards or so is rare. I fell in love with the whole long rage hunting thing. I'm haven a custom built 280 AI built now I intended to use from now on. My smith is currently collecting parts for the build. It looks like it won't be done till late summer. Hope to use it in South Dakota for mull deer in November. I don't reload as of now and planning on using factor ammo to start but ultimately going to reload. I'm overwhelmed with All the info out there. Here is my build

upload_2020-1-2_10-35-16.jpeg

Congratulations! Nothing wrong with a .25-06! Lots of love for them on this forum! Don't know much about the 280 AI but sounds good to me!

Good luck with the build!

As someone who has had a couple custom rifles built..Don't count on a set delivery time! Your smith is not really in control if he can't get the parts on time..What can he do? Make sure you have a back up plan. Keep that 25-06 tuned up....

As someone who has had a couple custom rifles built..Don't count on a set delivery time! Your smith is not really in control if he can't get the parts on time..What can he do? Make sure you have a back up plan. Keep that 25-06 tuned up....
I have herd this can happen. I will defiantly keep the 25-06 ready to pack.
Building a 280 a.i. on a Tac 30 isn't going to work well. Try a Tac 300.
:eek::rolleyes::) prolly just a typo.
Just curious but that's the issue with the tac 30? I will fallow up with my smith to verify
Thanks

This last year I went out west and hunted Antelope in Wyoming for the first time. Fell in love with the whole out west experience and vowed to try and make it out there every year I'm physically capable of. I inherited my fathers Remington 700 25-06 and it worked out great for the hunt. Being from Ohio shooting past 100 yards or so is rare. I fell in love with the whole long rage hunting thing. I'm haven a custom built 280 AI built now I intended to use from now on. My smith is currently collecting parts for the build. It looks like it won't be done till late summer. Hope to use it in South Dakota for mull deer in November. I don't reload as of now and planning on using factor ammo to start but ultimately going to reload. I'm overwhelmed with All the info out there. Here is my build

View attachment 166338

Congrats. Having spent most of my life hunting the west I'd have recommended going bigger but the .280 AI is a great starter. Once you get competent enough to be confindent in it you'll find yourself taking game with it at ranges you wouldn't have considered possible five years ago.

Words of Advice.

If you can afford to do so, attend one of the quality long range shooting/huting schools before heading west again.

Don't get over confident shooting paper targets under ideal conditions.

Go buy a .260 or 6.5CM or something similar so you can put hundreds of rounds down range in every circumstance and condition you can think of and make time for.

Even the best school in the country can't give you the experience that you will have to rely on when that trophy of a lifetime is in your sights beyond 600yds.

When that happens you want to be able to get down behind the gun with 100% conficence you can make that shot 10 out of 10 times.

Ya seems plenty spendy. Nothing in Sd that the 25-06 wont cure either. I love western Sd. Will be out there for antelope and deer.

His pricing of 49XX$ for a 280ai on a Stiller action is pretty high in price. You have less than 2500$ worth of components on that list, I suggest you call Nick Arnold @ Straight Jacket Armory. He can build you that same rifle with better components for probably 1500$ less.

I agree. Personally I recommend Clarence Hammond in central PA.

Mmmmmm. Lefthanded. I am, too. I'd like a rifle built that has a left bolt and a right ejection, but who makes one? I always shoot from a bench, so there's no need for me to keep one hand on the forward stock.

Mmmmmm. Lefthanded. I am, too. I'd like a rifle built that has a left bolt and a right ejection, but who makes one? I always shoot from a bench, so there's no need for me to keep one hand on the forward stock.
Bat machine does, and I believe you can get kelbly actions that way as well. These are bulky heavy benchrest actions however.

These are bulky, heavy benchrest actions .. .. ..
I'm bulky and heavy, too, so the action and me will get along right well.

I went to the BAT Machine website and looked at the various actions offered. A click will lead the customer to a page whereupon he can configure his action. I clicked and got a screen telling me that the page is not available because BAT is in the process of revising specs and prices, so I got no further information. I'm sure BAT can build a left-bolt, right-ejection action. Takes six to eight months, but I'm in no hurry.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.