Need help starting out with a project gun

Ddawg

Hello,
I'm new to this forum, and it looks like its a great resource site!

I'm new to long range shooting, but not to firearms.
In a nutshell I'm looking for a fun project gun in 270 caliber that I can learn and grow with on a reasonable budget. I'm not looking for a 'sniper rifle' quality rifle. My realistic expectations are taking a deer at 300-350 yds and steel plates at 600-700 yds.

A little history:

As far as shooting skills i have served in the military, and recently went through an Appleseed shoot were i just missed my rifleman patch with a score of 207. I currently reload several calibers but my primary hunting caliber is 270. I currently hunt with a TC pro hunter but I've got it set up for my 12 year old daughter to shoot youth loads.(she took her first deer with it this year) So I'm gonna leave it as is.
In this current crazy political Environment were in, and the lack of available ammo etc. I'm gonna stick with 270 since I currently have everything I need to reload.

I'm not sure what my budget might be to start with, but I have a Winchester M88 308 in good shooting and decent cosmetic condition and a 1954 Russian Tula SKS still in box that I'm working with a local gun shop for a possible trade. (if I were to find something to trade for)

With all this being said, what used rifle would you be on the lookout for?

What qualities in a used rifle would you look for?

Sorry if this is rambling
Thanks
David

For what you want to do? like you said you already have it. Infact you have two very good calibers that will do what you want very handily. I say run with what you got.

Thanks for your response. Your probably right, but I am looking for an old fixer-upper bolt gun to tinker and learn with.
The M88 was given to me, it's a lever gun and it's a good hunting rifle but not really noted as an accuracy rifle. Plus I don't have any reloading supplies for 308.
If I can't find something reasonable then I'll go with the TC. I'm not in a huge hurry.
I've also got a Ruger #1 223 with a target barrel and a Simons target scope I'm gonna start shooting.

Thanks

My opinion would be to get a LA Savage already chambered in .270 or .30-06 so that you have the proper bolt face already. Then put an pre-chambered Shillen barrell in .270 Win. on it.

This would shoot more then well enough for what you're talking about. Would be a fun little project that would not break the bank, and you already have everything you need to reload for it!lightbulb

Find one with an accutrigger if you can, glass bed it into a pre-finished laminate stock (not Richard's) and away you go! It's a win, win, win situation. That's what I would think.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.